video for youtube and facebook

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    So ive got about 3 hours of live HD video from my band's last gig and i want to produce some short clips for our youtube and facebook page. Any thoughts on length and number of clips to edit into a montage of sorts?

2. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    I'd say about 3:30 for each clip. Unless there's an extended opening. 3:30 will give a viewer a good sampling of the music.:cool:

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Depends on the reason you want this. If this is to show to venues to get gigs, I would go for 30 second clips. If you have clips showing the (hopefully) large and frenzied crowd, include some of that. Probably 5 minutes or so total. That allows the owners to get a varied look at the band in a short period of time.

If the purpose is for fans/friends, go for a couple of the songs - the entire songs - the best ones.

4. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    It's both for fans and our managment/clubs. We did have quite a few frenzied fans at the show so I'm going to pick one track to showcase.

5. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I would keep it short. Venue owners are not interested in watching/hearing the entire song. I would rather show more songs in a shorter time period. This way they can watch 30 seconds or 10 minutes and get everything they need.

Consider a separate video for fans with longer clips.

Marley's Ghost and BurningSkies like this.
  6. p-lo

p-lo

Jun 18, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    For a booking promo type piece I would say a couple minutes max with multiple song clips no longer than 30 seconds each (IMHO). Make sure it shows crowds and energy

The formulas social media platforms use these days give so much weight to new content, in particular video, it can be great for promoting gigs as well. You can edit a bunch of individual 30 second clips and use those to promote gigs. Lay the name of the club, date, times etc over the 30 second clip and use that as your social media post leading up to the gig. Guaranteed to get in front of a lot more people than sharing an event or a standard post.

7. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut

Here is a video from a band I play with.

Marley's Ghost likes this.
  8. So I just clicked on bulldogs vid, just as an experiment of watching a band video purely as a promo tool. It probably held my attention for about 15 seconds at the most. Not that they're not a good band but that's all I need to see.

Also with digital video it is much easier to just click at points in a 3 minute video. You can watch a 3 minute video in 4 or 5 15 sec bites. So a shoot from a few different gigs might be better than a lot of snippets from the same gig as far as holding interest goes.

Invite hot girls to the gigs your are shooting and let them know exactly why they are invited and make sure they play up for the camera. Hot girls (or dudes) will hold someone's attention much more than another cover band vid does. Especially if you're a venue owner who gets 50 of these videos a week.

Jimmy4string likes this.
  9. HOT GIRLS= YES!!

10. o_O

11. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Already in there. Thanks for the tips guys.

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Old, I know but we just went through this. For booking, we were requested to provide a 30-60 second teaser video. Which we did. We also have a few full song videos that can be viewed on our EPK as well. The teaser should be well edited and feature some of your live diversity. For us, it's both our leads, some crowd response, and our main singer belting for a bit. Has our logo and contact info for band and booking.

Marley's Ghost likes this.