Video from my largest gig so far

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Norwegianwood, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Ok, so my band just recently had a gig on a pretty large stage. Quite unusual and wierd as I was standing like 10 meters away from the drummer. But it was also pretty cool, seeing as there was a couple of thousand people in the audience. (At least.)

I have a video compilationthat I'd like you to check out:

High quality:

Low quality:

I'm most happy with "Stay" and "Rock Steady".
  2. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Cool playing!... You're really getting the job done dude! :bassist:
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Crowd is pretty lame, sounds like you guys are pretty happening, everyone is just standing there... dur....

oh well
  4. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Yeah man.. That crowd IS lame! I can't understand how they can manage just standing there without moving! MAn, I would be dancing all over the place!
  5. Thanks guys, I appreciate it!
    And yeah, the crowd was totally lame. But it was pretty early in the evening - and it was mainly families there at the time. We was merely entertaining them while they waited for the big acts to come later on. But we also has a job to do when it comes to getting the crowd with us. It's getting better, though, and on our own gigs it's always pretty wild:)

Edit: If anyone cares, here's a little info on our band: We are only a fun-kinda band. We consists mainly of friends from the same school, and practise like once every month. Our drummer is the younges member. He's 17 - I'm 19, and the oldest of us are 20. Once again, I'm happy for all feedback I get - good or bad. (And btw, what do you guys think about my sexy sad? :D )
  6. retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    at least there was one woman getting down at the beggining :p

lol u look so funny :p lose the girl pants hehe

im just fooling with ya.. :) nice playing :bassist:
  7. Great playing, but I think there's something wrong with the crowd. No way you could stand still with that kind of music going on! :)
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, it's cool to see a funk band going. Nobody plays funk around here, and even if they did, I doubt the could find a horn section. There are no horn players around here, they're classical or jazz only... kinda snobbish.

I hate your singer, I gotta say. I hate how female singers have to be over the top, the "whoaoaooaoaoaooaoaoaoaoaooaoOOoaoaooao" stuff drives me nuts. And my girlfriends (a trained opera singer) says it's nothing, it's really easy to do, it just sounds flashy. She does it way way way way way x20 too much, it annoys me.

But the band sounds great, but I gotta ask... is it really hip to be square?
  9. Awesome sound man..Band sounds solid..

Can't say I really like the singer. But, I bet she was just excited because of the larger crowd...

Dumb question. Does it bother you at all with the drummer on the other side of the stage?? Even if I have great monitors, I always like to be on the highhat side of the drummer..
  10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    The band is great, the singer is overdoing it and the crowd is lame.
  11. Well, I can obviously see where you'r coming from. What your opera-singing girfriend says is not right, however, most opera singers say that just because they are jealous :) I know lots of great opera singers that have enormous voice-control, but would not even dare to try something like this.

But: She does 30x to much of it, and it's one of my biggest issues with her. It's often like that with people who are not schooled, though. They need feedback in order to improve themselves. She's been having way to little of that - she's gotten away with it because of her personality, and we should be blamed for that. She is a GREAT talent, though, being only 19 years old,very musical, hot(!) and unafraid of challenges.Next year she'll be going to study music full time - having lessons for the first time.

Yes, it was wierd to stand that far away from the drummer! It took a while to get used to it. And I had to use a SWR rig that sounded terrible! Now I understand what people are talking about. Thin and clancky!

Thanks again for taking the time to check it out - I appreciate it!
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Ermm... uh... no. You see, after my girlfriend told me that... then she did it. She explained it more less like if someone picked up a guitar and "shredded" instead of soloed. Most opera singers aren't jealous of someones ability to say "whoaaa" while sliding around in a scale.
  13. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Hey Woody, great playing man! You and the drummer are layin' it down. If that's how you cats are playing at 17 and 19, you're gonna be scary in a coupla years. :D

The singer, although she needs some fashion help, I found to be really rather good...unique and powerful voice without being piercing in the upper registers. Fine stage presence too...something everyone else (except for you) needs to get hip to. ;) But then again, you're all pretty young. ;)

You guys played that well and got that little love from the crowd? I agree with everyone else...way lame. You deserved much more appreciation.

Anyway, keep up the good work, and try and get those background singers and horn players to dress better and shake their moneymakers!!!

BTW...Trumpet players are the same everywhere aren't they? ;)
  14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

This got a LOL out of me. :D
  15. I was only joking about the jealous part.
    I find your girlfriend to be a special case, though. Most good opera singers have amazing voice control. But in that context - they usually sound lame, no matter how hard they try. Just like with a classical musician playing rock or jazz, and the other way around.
  16. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Oh and another thing, I'd rather listen to your singer for an entire gig than even the greatest of opera singers for even five minutes. I just can't hang with opera, at least not 'til the fat lady sings...if yoo can dig. :cool:
  17. Thanks alot man, I appreciate it!

The whole thing was a family - arrangement and early in the night. But you should know we had some fans upfront that you can't see on the video:p

I totally agree with everything you say about the band. It's absolutely something we have to work on in the future! Oh, and the comment about trumpet players just made my day...
  18. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT

Hey, great job with grooving with the drummer even with the distance. Were you hearing the delay between his live sound and what was coming out of the monitors? You handled it very well. And I'm with ya on the SWR stuff...welcome to the wonderful world of "backline provided". :help:
  19. Thanks man...I don't think I could hear his live sound at all....It was just wierd - as I'm always used to standing next to him - feeling the bass drum, you know...And you should know: We have put the best grooving parts in this video. If you notice - they are all pretty close to the end of the songs. It took a while before I got used to it. (But I'm not supposed to say these things:) )
    Personally I'd like to give kudos to our guitarist on the second song. (Stay.) I thinks he has a very nice sound and tasteful fills. The other guitarist, though, is just with us for the sake of old friendship:)
  20. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Holy crap man-you guys sound great. Great tone and feel man.