Video game composition writers (for olds chool nintendo/snes)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Jul 23, 2005.

1. am I the only one that found these guys to be compositional geniuses? I mean, seriously, yes, it's in Midi form, but listening to Rock bands cover their stuff (NESkimos, etc.) really showcases how impressive this stuff is. Any specific songs you enjoy to play on bass. (aside from Super Mario Bros 3 tunes:-D)
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I listen to tons of video game music. It's good stuff. One of the things that interests me about it, is that, while compositionally, a lot of the stuff was pretty radical and inventive, ultimately, a large part of why we love it has to do with the fact that it's literally been drilled into our brains from having played these games. What's more, if it was a fun game, then listening to the music serves as a reminder for how much you enjoyed playing the game.

I don't 'play songs on bass' specifically, since I do a lot of recording with multitracking and such, but I have made remixes of a bunch of video games songs. Most of these are SNES games, since that is the system I played the most as a kid, and since the SNES music radical as well.

New Junk City! - Earthworm Jim

Chocobo theme - Final Fantasy

Brinstar(teeming with life) - Super Metroid

Port Town F-Zero

The Phantom Forest - Final Fantasy 6

Final Fantasy 6 overworld theme - Final Fantasy 6

Hero's Theme(all bass) - Final Fantasy: Tactics(PS1)

The Unavoidable Battle - Final Fantasy: Tactics(PS1)
  3. Google a Bay Area band called "The Advantage". They rule...

4. Lame Thrower

Lame Thrower Supporting Member

May 13, 2005
    Sacramento, CA
    I believe they're here in Sacramento, and they are excellent.

If you dig game music, check out this guy:

...a personal friend of mine, and a genius, in whatever sense of the word you want to consider. One of those guys that either inspires you to work harder, or makes you want to give up.
  5. Love that Mario theme. Such a great feel to it, the way he plays it. Compliment him for me. :)
  6. Lame Thrower

May 13, 2005
    Sacramento, CA
    I will.

He recorded all the music from Super Mario World here if you're into that sort of thing:
  7. D'oh, I meant Sac. Anything North of me in LA is "Bay". :)

Their bassist Carson McWhirter was in another project called ENT, which I absolutely enjoyed due to Carson's Warr Guitar work and the maddening genius drumming of Ian Hill, not to be confused with Zach Hill from Hella. They are a dead band, but check them out here:

8. Lame Thrower

May 13, 2005
    Sacramento, CA
    Isn't one of the guys in that band the nephew of someone from Supertramp or something? I'm pretty sure I saw them one time. The bassist plays some kind of exotic extended range bass right? Either way, those clips are pretty groovy.

As for the genius musicians up here, don't worry, there's a lot of total crap too!
  9. I don't know a lot of 'old school' stuff, but I do like "otherworld" by xtillIdiex (the rock music at the beggining video and last boss on final fantasy x) Very similar to a song my band does (an original)
  10. Malodorous

May 19, 2005
    The soundtrack for Top Gear on SNES is amazing.
  11. psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    I had this idea so long ago.. Never was able to find any willing musicians in my area though ;/
  12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Interesting that this thread would pop up again. I'm currently working on a remix of "brinstar" from NES Metroid.
  13. OysterBoy

Sep 19, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    "Entryway" from Doom 2 has one of the most interesting / sexy guitar (midi, albeit) solos I've heard since The Fall of Troy.

Download it. Now.
  14. sean_seanson

Jul 14, 2004