1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Video Game Music - Killer Bass Tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skygoneblue, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I'll admit it - I'm 30 and I still play video games pretty much constantly. Maybe it's just because I've been playing since I was a kid, but some of my favorite older games seem to have some of the greatest bass tone I've ever heard.

Earthbound:

Those Japanese artists have some kind of secret they're not sharing with me! :scowl:

What are some of your favorite game tunes with awesome bass in them? Link if you can!

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I know what I'm gonna try to learn when I get home tonight.

3. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Dude, there was a game for the first Playstation, called "Rally Cross". I think Stu Hamm is on that one, and the slap is INSANE.

4. If I had to guess, both were done on a synth. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Weren't pretty much all of the bass lines / fills done on Seinfeld synth?

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Yup. But it doesn't prevent me from displaying my horrific slap technique at rehearsals.

6. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    It might have been; I'm honestly not sure how to find out. These game tracks sound like a really well played fretless to my ears.

7. Swakey

Swakey

Nov 26, 2012
    What about this one

8. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I can play the New Age Retro Hippie battle theme from Earthbound, do I get a cookie? :ninja:

Chrono Trigger has some nasty basslines... there's an unused battle theme that is like OMG my fingers are bleeding type fast. Same deal with most things Motoi Sakuraba comes up with, like pretty much any battle theme from Valkyrie Profile to Star Ocean series to Tales of (especially Destiny 2, that stuff is simply ridiculous)

9. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Swakey - That's killer!

Nashrakh - Awesome! It's so rare to find another Earthbound fan in the world. And yea, I've seen maybe one good cover of that battle theme you're talking about. The little run is so fast that it's damn hard to play clean!