1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Video games: a slowly dying form of art?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Trying not to sound like a nerd, but These days I just don't see modern gaming the way that I used to. I was looking this summer into what system I wanted to update to, and I realized something: I hardly have any money for it, game reviews of most of the software for the "next gen" category of consoles generally suck, and I've been playing gamecube (last gen's supposed "loser") the most out of my consoles; the only thing that comes close is my xbox, and it's serving better as a dvd player than it seems to be pulling as a game system, despite what I have for it.
    That and the impressions I got for each system seem pretty down: x360, obviously the best, yet breaks down way too frequently. PS3, nothing going for it, is getting buried alive by the media despite what promises sony offers. Wii, good, but supposedly way too weak to have any fun for general hardcore gamers, graphics haven't been solved, and the few Nintendo games coming out from the company themselves are few and somewhat far into the future for their arrival (besides, have you looked at the shots in Nintendo power mag? they're GOD AWFUL!)
    PC's don't count, besides, in a few months all your hardware will be obsolete for the newest PC games with all the flare, that is unless your willing to pay the price to get a stretch from a few months to maybe a year's worth of value to keep up with the times.
    anyways, am I the only one here that thinks things have been pretty downhill since N64?

2. I bought a SNES for old school gaming... but I'm going to get a Xbox 360 for games such as Gears of War and BioShock. There will be plenty of good games coming out to keep me entertained.

3. Three Words:

Super Smash Brothers

Best game IMO of the past 10 years.

Cons: 1P game sucks

Pros: Everything else

4. lol super smash brothers is pretty good.......but lately I find whenever I pick up melee to play it that the moves I'm performing are only stopped because of the poor response time.....i wish it were a little faster. And yea, bioshock is probably alright, but face it, it's just another first person shooter.......i've already played a billion games with a generally faceless character and a gun in one (or two) hands

5. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    meh, PC playing is still where it's at. Don't try and be on top of all the hit games, because at least half of em will and do suck. ya gotta look for the ones that really are incredible. Take the Half-Life series. They are all incredible games, I still get a kick outta the original. Then there's Starcraft: it's 10 years old, and the #1 game in the world.

6. PC > Consoles

That's probably why you think it's gone downhill.

7. lol but I still have only been playing the sims collection over everything else! I don't know, games these days for PC just seem really overrated. What do I get for spending three grand on a good computer? a prettier picture with the same boring gameplay all around

8. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Who says you have to pay 3 grand for a good computer? I payed $1200AU for mine and it runs Doom 3 on ultra high, F.E.A.R with maxed graphics, and basically anything you throw at it.

9. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California

lol, dude, ya don't need a 3k compy... I'm playing the latest of the battlefield series on a 6 year old computer..

and don't buy stuff that looks flashy, you have to read reviews of the storylines, and most importantly the gameplay. What does this certain game offer that no others have? Bottom line: look for the unique. they will always win.

10. lol that's doom 3 tho, what about that new game......crysis?
    either way, your missing my point.........there's nothing out there that's really pulling for gameplay......all i see are pretty graphics on a high def machine

11. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    dude, crysis looks SICK!!! I think ya need vista for it though... which to me isn't worth it. I'll wait till Microsoft comes out with something a little more revolutionary before I spend 200 bux to upgrade...

12. well either way, lol, i got way too used to having my computer crash at every moment i gave it, i'm strictly console now. as far as published reviews, wii is still getting the $H!T end of the stick because of the graphics (even if they are so-so)

13. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    psh.. graphics schmaphics. wii isn't about graphics, it's about a brand new form of personal gameplay. I've had way more fun with the wii than with any other consoles in a LOOOOOONG time.

yeah, graphics aren't everything. Again, look at half life, by today's standards, the graphics are abomidable. It's still one of my favorite games.

14. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Umm, I got my computer about a year before Doom 3 came out. Considering Doom 3's graphics at the time that would be like running Crysis on my computer, which I'm sure it would handle. It 'aint rocket science bro, you can design a good computer that will run any game you want it too and it will last a very long time.

I think you're missing the point too, there are plenty of new innovations being made, have you every heard of Garry's Mod 10? What about Spore? There are also new physics engines being made where water can be manipulated, molded and moved just like real water too.

15. yea, I dono, I wanna get it, but it just seems discouraging.........and the fact that Nintendo power can't publish a mag that gives me an accurate idea of just how good or bad the wii is bugging me majorly

16. yea.........well, I'm just sort of missing straight four player action on the same tv on a game system between "real" people. another reason i prefer not to play PC

17. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    dude, my next door neighbor has one. I go over every day to play it. It ROCKS!!! I'll kick all your a$$es in bowling.

18. lol so what would you consider to be the top five games to play, wii sports not included?

19. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    That's cool if you don't like single player RPG's and FPS's. But why say that PC's are obsolete because of that? If you're a party game kind of guy you shouldn't be looking into computers, but that's no reason to say they aren't good gaming machines.

EDIT: By the way, Doom 3 is often used as a benchmark game to test new hardware.

20. yea, but i mean, the point of gaming is to have fun, no? I don't have fun just sitting in front of a computer with a mouse and keyboards talking smack to people 2000 miles from me