Video Games: Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Jan 1, 2003.

1. I am 15 or younger and think they are a good thing

4 vote(s)
  2. I am 15 or younger and think they are a bad thing

0 vote(s)
  3. I am 16 to 25 and think they are a good thing

43 vote(s)
  4. I am 16 to 25 and think they are a bad thing

3 vote(s)
  5. I am 26 to 35 and think they are a good thing

11 vote(s)
  6. I am 26 to 35 and think they are a bad thing

2 vote(s)
  7. I am 36+ and think they are a good thing

3 vote(s)
  8. I am 36+ and think they are a bad thing

0 vote(s)
  1. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I've read some pretty interesting comments about video games on the boards in the past few days. I've always thought there was a kind of generation gap concerning them, and made the poll above to see if what I think is true.

I played a lot of video games when I was younger, and still play them today. Not nearly as often, of course. I usually like the RPGs, but I don't have the time to really get into one. The Madden games can offer a quick thrill, and thus are what I have been playing of late.

Here's a question, though, for all the parents out there. To those who object to video games, (obviously, my parents didn't), do you let your kids watch TV? Some parents seem to be against video games, but allow their kids to plop in front of the television with no qualms. This I do not get.

What are your thoughts on the pros/cons of video games as a hobby?
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't think that they are a bad thing, but I do think that they are a waste of time.

I used to play RPG's, but I just don't have the time for them.
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Portrait of Tracy can't vote, but he is 15 or under and said nay. :D
  4. Video games are good. GOOOOOOOOOD.

Anyone who has ever played HALO or Rollercoaster Tycoon can tell you that.

Rock on
  5. I think video games are a good thing in moderation. I play video games when I have nothing else to do, but I don't play video games as an alternative to things like sports, hanging out with friends, and homework. I don't think violent video games are a problem either, although I do believe that age restrictions are very necessary. I wouldn't want to see a 6 year old kid playing GTA3, but by the time you are slightly older there should not be a problem with distinguishing between fantasy and reality, and if there is, it is a problem with the person, not the game.
  6. I voted that they are a good thing. I don't know if they really are but they are fun...if it's just entertainment and not all the time I don't see the harm in it

7. I just like half nekkid video game girls.
  8. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Just for reference, my roommate and I played the co-op story on Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance for about 7 hours today. :cool:

I know there aren't any real redeeming qualities from it. I'm sure gaming at an early age turned me into the huge geek I am today, but that's who I am and I wouldn't change it. It's one of my top 3 favorite things to do, right behind playing my bass and snowboarding.
    Also, I can get an awesome tan in the winter from television's warm glowing warming glow. ;)
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I guess they are a good thing, to waste your time.
    I play games. I usually go through phases though. there will be times when I won't play any video games for months, then all of a sudden I'll start playing loads for a few months, then I'll stop again.

this usually coincides with my love life :D

I'm currently in a pretty big video gaming binge, I've been playing Metroid Prime(best game ever) Metroid fusion(the best game ever's little cousin) Tony Hawk Pro skater 4(I'm surprised to say, this game is sufficiently different enough from the other games to make it a good game, THPS 2 and 3 were 100% cookie cutter, 4 is more like 78% cookie cutter)

One thing that is for certain. The day that I get Star Wars:Galaxies is the day that my life ends. period. over. no more. I will play that game non stop for at least a month gauranteed.

The tan you get from a TV is less golden brown creamy than it is brittle sparse green and kind of scary.

For the record, Video games can do some good. I learned almost everything I know about the revolutionary war and early colonialism in America, through the sid meyer game Colonization, I played that game sooooo much when I was little, that a lot of random factoids and( mostly) useless information was embedded in my mind. And I'm sure playing Tetris as much as I do will teach me something.
  10. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I agree 100% about the new Metroid games. I've had more fun with those games than any others I've played recently.

Also, I learned a lot from that old game "Oregon Trail." I learned that spending $20 to have an Indian guide you across the river is well worth it.
  11. I don't need no damn Indian Guide! I ford that river every time! **** Dave and his broken leg...
  12. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    I think every one needs some form of entertainment. Wether it's video games, talkbass, tv, goin' to the movies, whatever. But if we spend all of our time entertaining ourselves we're not gonna get anything done. All things in moderation perhaps. I'm 32 and if I had a good game system I would probably play occasionally. There's just too much musical stuff I want first!

Grandpa voice: Ehhhh Sonny, did you say penetration sap? Oh, generation gap... Nevermind
  13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Is TalkBass considered a video game? :D
  14. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Chrono Trigger fan, eh? Personally, I'd take (good) video games over movies any day.
  15. better then wacthing half the crap on tv. charmed runs aways crying

TWISTED Guest

Sep 8, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    GTA: Vice City is so good it makes other video games look bad.
  17. joke

Sep 17, 2001
    I was addicted to that game for about 6 months, and i still didnt complete it, theres 2 parks i just cant do. :(
  18. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Excellent Homer reference! I think they are OK depending on the situation. I would not give a copy of unreal tournament to kid with Manson-esque tendencies, but older healthy kids/adults should be able to handle it. I play a lot of Madden 2003 myself these days, so I voted yea. Spankbass, I used to drown people all the time in that game. We usually all died of diphtheria.
  19. I'm 18 and I voted "bad thing" but I think they're more just a waste of time.

I've never really got into them. I bought Gangsters and C&C: Tiberian Sun, but I just got bored of them pretty quickly. I can see why people say they're good entertainment, but I'd rather just read a book or watch a movie.

I guess it's just different things for different people.

And it keeps all the geeks out the clubs!:D :rolleyes:
  20. i see nothing wrong with video games as long as you still have a life. both my kids have a system. i just got them ps2 and game cube. before that they had n64 and ps1. anyway, they play with their friends, they play on rainy days. they keep their grades up fantastically in school. homework and their music, youngest plays flute, oldest is in jrotc. they have goals they want to meet already in life. if the parents teach their kids it is not an alternative to life it is fine. if it is not what is raising the kids it is fine. and well, there are some games we, the kids and i, play together. it is an extracurricular time for us. so i voted that it is ok in the 36+ poll. teach your kids right, and it is ok. they still play football with friends, they still run around with friends. and well, lets face it, when push comes to shove, i would rather have them play that than drink and do drugs. :D