1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Video: How to recone a speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ukiah Bass, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    This 49-minute video has been around a few years but it's good. Step by step, a guy from SimplySpeakers.com walks you through the process of reconing a JBL 2226H subwoofer speaker. The process is similar to most speakers. Demystifies the whole process.

Vintage-Blue and dukeorock like this.
  2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Of course, it simplifies the process considerably with regard to the details. The importance of the details is critical to a professional recone. Much like the difference between a pro player and 95% of the rest, the pro has an appreciation for details that the average players do not.

B-string and svtb15 like this.
  3. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    One thing I noticed is he did not emphasize keeping the lead wires off the back surface of the speaker cone. I bought a few cabs in the past where the lead wires were so long they flapped against the cone and caused a buzzing sound. I solve that by using a twistee to tie back the wire against the rear frame.

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    While the guy may know how to do this particular recone mechanically, and I think he has presented the process very well in front of the camera, he has made a totally amateur and bone-headed error that has me absolutely stunned... where he says to note the height of the VC in the gap by looking at the existing VC, there was absolutely no mention of the possibility that this driver had been reconed before and that the existing height is f-ing' WRONG. This is further reinforced by the burned damage on the bottom of the coil where the thermal resistance is higher due to the VC sitting to far (deep) into the gap. This means that the magnetic field asymmetrically as the coil moves within the gap, and Xmax will be limited by the shortest overhang leading to early asymmetrical distortion.

The VC height is 0.750" and the height of the gap (with the flaired extension) is about 0.320", so the winding height above the pole piece should be (.750-.320)/2 = 0.022" above the pole piece edge. Now the other problem I see, although I can't confirm the exact measurement, is that it looks to me like that is not a 2226 VC but a 2242 series aftermarket VC with a winding height of ~1" rather than .75". I see this a lot in aftermarket kits (which this is) and it leads to a completely different set of TS parameters as well as efficiency. The 2242 driver uses a gap height of 0.50" and can support the longer VC better magnetically.

This is why I recommend professional reconers rather than somebody selling parts on the internet to folks who wouldn't recognize correct parts and methods. Will it make sound? Yes. Will it perform like the original speaker? Most definitely not. Will it handle the same amount of power as the original factory speaker? No. Will it be as reliable? No.

Safety-wise, using an xacto knife to remove the surround is dangerous, the blade is not strong enough and can easily break driving what is left right into a finger. An industrial grade utility knife with the heavy trapezoidal blade is MUCH stronger and safer.

It's funny that there is no mention of checking that the VC is plumb in the gap (the shims do not prevent racking or tilting in the gap) and that the spider height on the former is uniform (meaning that the motion is parallel to the gap depth. These are common mistakes.

And yes, I went through the JBL service school back in the late 70's, so I am probably more detail oriented than most average reconers, but as a customer, I would want a more detail oriented recone myself.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    S-Bigbottom, Ukiah Bass and B-string like this.