1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Video Interview with Lee Sklar @ Warwick : Lee Sklar Signature Custom Materbuilt Bass

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Dec 24, 2016.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    Lee Sklar and Marcus Spangler present the new Warwick "Lee Sklar Signature" Custom Shop Masterbuilt Model. Lee and Marcus talk about the idea and the development process up to the optimal instrument and illustrate the results on various prototypes. The video was recorded at the Warwick Headquarters in Markneukirchen, Germany.

Attached Files:

Snibborwocky, andruca, Lovep and 2 others like this.
  2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I love the switch that turns off the bass player's voice. So Sklarian :)

wintremute likes this.
  3. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Is he still playing the Dingwall?

4. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    Saw him playing the prototype he's holding in the video last night backing up Sheryl Crow on the Kennedy Center Honors show. And ya is he still with Dingwall?

5. He is still with Dingwall and plays both the Sklar model and a Prima Artist model I believe.

BrBss and wintremute like this.
  6. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    The prototype is a sweet looking bass. I'm GASing for one, as long as it does not have a "baseball bat sawed in half" neck like a lot of warwicks. Some like those necks, but not me. Wonder what the price tag will be?

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That's when you have major cred. You can just go get endorsed by multiple premier bass builders at the same time. His resume' certainly has earned it though.

Congrats on the new bass Lee! Looks beautiful and (in your hands at least) sounds it too. But, then again, I'm sure we could hand you a 2X4 with a pickup and some rubber bands and you would make it work. :D

wintremute and mwbassace like this.
  8. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    This is a very nice looking bass. I dig the combination of woods on the top.

9. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I am on the opposite side of the fence on this one.

I have the utmost respect for Mr. Sklar and for Warwick. I have actually had dinner the owner of this spirited company and he's an amazing man.
    I also like the concept of the bass, I think it's right on. The tone sounds great. I love the idea of the arm relief contour.

However the esthetics do not work for me. I think it's a case of too much of a good thing. The Sunburst is beautiful but the contrast with the wood on the forearm contour clashes badly.
    I also think the two tone freeboard adds to the strange character of this instrument. I realize this is probably Mr. Sklar own bass and I respect his taste and choices but I hope the bass comes with more subdued color options.

The purple version showed in the video just has the two tone fret board and that seems to tame things down a bit.
    As a consumer interested in this instrument, my recommendation is to offer some more main stream or traditional wood/fret board options.