1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Video of a great jazzy walking line on a Precision?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Feral Feline, Oct 28, 2013.

1. :help:

Please give me a few video samples/examples of great walking bass lines played on a Fender Precision bass, preferably in a full band context.

I've tried searching, but I don't know how to narrow the parameters down to what I need... Please, no Fender Jazz basses, no Precision copies, no doublebasses, no instructional videos – just a clean live performance video of somebody killing it while walking on a Precision.
    :bassist:

Thanks in advance,
    FF

2. Surely there has been a walking bass line performed on a Precision, captured on film? Blues? Jazz? Later Gene Vincent or Elvis etc?

3. basschanges

basschanges Unconditionally Loving Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Jazz walking bass playing? On a P-Bass?

Jeff Andrews fits the bill better than most I can think of.

He's one of my idols for post-bop playing on electric bass playing, along with patitucci.

Whoops...that P is severely altered to basically be a J-bass. My bad.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Jazz bass not P, but swinging anyway.

5. Thanks folks. I personally enjoyed the music in the links, but I'm looking for "Precision", with a capital "P", walking four to to the bar.

"WHY?" You may ask...

Well, so I can respond to an email from a friend who thinks the following is Precision walking
    (I've spared you the 8-minute version and given you a half-minute sample in the link):

So, COME ON there must be SOME Precision player WALKING out there – not on a Jazz with a capital "J" riffing, not boutique basses vamping, not another half-baked instructional video, not a doublebass playing a harmonised line with the sax solo, nor a Stingray exploring rhythmic variations etc...

FENDER PRECISION WALKING! dagnabbit...

:meh:

6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Look for some Monk Montgomery vids on youtube. He played a Precision.

7. PAY DIRT! :hyper:

Cheers! Always loved his brother, too. :D

Classy ElGecko! Cab's one of my heroes and I've loved this song since I was a wee lad. :cool:

Mr. Fulton, you the MAN! Nothing beats ticking all my Precision-walking-bass-line request boxes and then ticking the invisible one I didn't even know was there, the "I played it myself" box.
    :ninja:
    Kudos! Sounds killer! This one goes in the email...

Cheers all! MANY thanks,
    FF
    :bassist:

8. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
  9. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Glad TBrs are enjoying it, and yes there are a lot of great ideas going on it there to be used in all walking lines.....so maybe i'll look at doing a lesson on how it comes together. :)

10. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Yes, indeed, a lot of good and grooving, "swinging and walking" basslines, a-la "Chicago-Blues".