Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Video of Dominique di Piazza

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DaveBeny, Apr 1, 2005.

1. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Yes, I know, another post by me about this guy ;) , but he deserves a much higher profile IMO.

Video of him is as rare as hens' teeth, but I have just found a decent-quality 12min video of him jamming on some standards. The video is from French musician Maddy Gerville’s website. Here’s the link:

http://www.meddygervillegroup.com/video/JamSessionDMM1.wmv

My PC doesn't like streaming it, but right-clicking and selecting "Save As" does the job. It's about 50mb, so may take a while to download.

2. This is great - he's a genuinely excellent musician - as well as great bass player - it's actually more humbling to see how restrained he is considering his massive chops - he's definitely in the top 5 electric bassists on the planet right now.

Good work Dave - thanks again for the CDs BTW

M

PS is he playing a fretless - sounds like he gets a 'mwah' on the low notes...

3. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Just a regular thumbpick I believe, a cross-over from his gypsy jazz guitar playing.

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    The bass is a Neuser fretted 5. DdP is one of those guys (Jimmy Haslip is another) who can coax fretless 'mwah' out of a fretted bass.

5. Cool - I thought it loked fretted - but you never know - cheers

M

6. marcelocordova

marcelocordova

Apr 1, 2005
    hi david : actually di piazza uses a sistem on the bridge that sound like a sitar (or tamboura maybe),he made for himsellf and after he propose the idea to neuser .i know him personally ,i took some lessons with him.
    bye

7. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Yes, I did think about the NFS bridge, but it doesn't look as though the bass in the video has it installed.

Am very jealous that you have studied with Dominique! I have exchanged a couple of emails with him in recent months and hope to one day take a lesson from him. What sort of things were covered in your lessons with him?

8. marcelocordova

marcelocordova

Apr 1, 2005
    david :the sistem are small pieces of ebony between the bridge and the strings ,actually it's a special kind of bridge .
    it wasn't easy study with him ,at the time i was in chile and some friend told me that he was playing again ,he stop to play for seven years and he was one of the biggest influences of bass to me . so ,i found his email and web site ,and called him ,and after i went to france for hollydays ,so i travel to Nimes (south of france ) to see him .
    he make play first and i played some of his solos of john mc laughlin que alegria ,he was happy to hear "marie" for someone else ,and after i asked some soloing concepts ,like brecker's style and outside playing .he is a nice man ,great sense of humor and a great human being.
    bye

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    That walking/chordal groove is great.

The only "monster chops" bassist that I enjoy. I judge a bassist on three things when I listen: Tone, taste, and style. Dude has the hat trick as well as the ability to kill a solo - tastefully.

He can recognize and hold back at the point where one more note would ruin the piece. A lot of the "monster" players can't or don't.

10. This man is a real GOD - sod my stupid clips - this guy is the REAL deal!

;)

M

11. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I'm looking forward to the Carbonne-Di Piazza-Manring CD, but what I really want is an album solely of DdP's own material. He's clearly got great compositional skills - I want to hear more of them!

If he were to make an instructional DVD, well, he could name his price and I would still buy it!

;)

PS. Here's a thread from a while back on a recent album that DdP is the bassist on:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172035&highlight=dominique+piazza - it is proving difficult to get hold of a copy.

12. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Man that guy is good. I highly enjoyed that, he has excellent skills.

On a side note, this is directed at you urb_munki and your other thread, sort of off topic. I watched the videos and was amazed at how good you are, actually sort of disapointed that I'm so far behind :). Anyway to get to my point, I thought I'd give you some actual criticism instead of just saying you're the "****." The only thing I can think of is that you named most of your pieces in the videos "grooves," now I'm not very musicaly proficient but in most of the videos I saw I felt no grove. This video of Dominque Di Piazza on the other hand definitely had the groove there, yours were more inspirational thinking pieces rather then grooves? Hmm, Dominque is amazing :0.

13. Cool man - thanks - to be honest I didn't know what else to call them - "noodly fusion bollox" is probably a better overall description! ;) - I'm definitely getting better at making up grooves with this technique now - and yes, Dominique makes us all sound like beginners - this man has so much depth to his playing that everything he does is imbued with multi-layered chords, melodies and rhythms - he's a big hero of mine - guess I better get working on my groove!

Cheers

M

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    +1,544,974,982

15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's not there anymore, anybody know where to get it?

16. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
  17. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Amazing video. I don't know if I should practice more or just give up!
    Thanks for sharing.

18. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    Great stuff. I dig his playing. Great tone too. :)

19. I just now came across this thread....
    Great stuff!

THANKS DAVID B.!

20. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    FYI, there is a video of Dominique playing one of his solo tunes, 'Morning Star', in the thread 'Carbonne-Di Piazza-Manring' over in the Bassists section. :eek: