Video of me playing flamenco

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Steven Melensen, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Steven Melensen

Steven Melensen

Aug 2, 2005
  2. i couldn't get it to the file
  3. Steven Melensen

Steven Melensen

Aug 2, 2005
    All you have to do is to click on the "free" icon at the bottom of the page. On the next page, the file is at the bottom (you may have to wait a couple of seconds to be able to download the file).
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That was a mess! But, parts of it were pretty cool. good on you for adapting those techniques to bass though.
  5. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003

That's cool! It does sound a little muddy in the lower registers, but great ideas!

My favorite technique is the one you use around 1:30-1:40 with the palm slap. That sounds awesome and very rhymic.

Can you give me any insights as to the motions leading up to the palm slap (just alternating up/down or a different combo)?

Only thing that I do that comes close to that is what Stanley Clarke uses for School Days. I'd like to expand that technique a bit more.

6. i finally got to see it...good stuff! that is a really cool technique!
  7. Cool, how long have you been playing?
  8. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    get a haircut! :p

That was actually really sweet man, props.
  9. placidium

Aug 2, 2005
    Really cool, really fast. If there's ever a sequel to Once Upon a Time in Mexico, that could be used in it in some way (bass battle fiesta!).

You're really fast. How long have you been playing?
  10. 4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for sharing that! I really enjoyed and am encouraged when I see someone playing that way. Good job!
  11. Pretty cool stuff!

Might want to watch that wrist motion, though. Some of those strums are coming exclusively from your wrist, so try to minimize that or you could end up with some wrist injuries.
  12. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA

Mucho clutter. Nice alembic though! One of the better looking of those models.

Honestly, it seemed like a lot of it was you moving your right hand fingers really fast and your left hand moving about the neck in a chromatic fashion. The tone was nice, and the strumming of the chords and stuff was nice, but a lot of it was "Hey let's play up and down the neck quickly". But hey, nice hat?
  13. Steven Melensen

Steven Melensen

Aug 2, 2005
    Thanks for your comments guys.

So for the questions here it is :

- I play bass since 9 years.

- I know some of the chords sounds a little unclean and I thinks it's due that I play them on 4 strings. I might play them on the top 3, so it will sounds better.

- For the palm slap technique, the rythm is straight 8th notes and the pattern is strum down (with all your fingers), strum up (with your thump), right palm slap, and flick up (do the same motion than a normal finger style attack with all your fingers and accross all the strings)

- And for the haircut ... well I didn't did that for you guys. Girls like it, so that's why my hair looks that way.

I know that this song is more about being flashy than about musicality. The main goal of the song was to play fast and to bring flamencos technique to bass. And no, I don't play only chromatic when I play fast (except when my left hand is upside down). If you what something more melo, wait 'till next week and I'll send another bass solo.
  14. well i got all the hype of everyone saying thats pretty damn good and ive only met a couple other people that incorporate flamenco into their bass playing, then the stupid site its posted on wont let you download unless you have the Fing premium membership. what kind of crap is that. anyways ill try again it really does sound interesting.
  15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Actually you can download without the premium membership, it's just that you (might) be put in queue and it's a slower download. However the site WANTS you to buy their premium membership, and they are pretty invasive about it, trying to trick people with cluttered web pages that mostly talk about the premium ticket.
  16. its true...i think as far as musicality, the song wasn't great, but i really do like that technique...i'd like to hear the next one you have planned
  17. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Hm...Sounds like Mederterrian Sundance(Spelling?)
    - Paco De Lucia, Al Di meola, and John Mclaughan. But on bass. Same kind of format.
  18. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Cool, how long have you been playing with 4fingers?

I would like to see you use it over 4strings to, not only over one..
  19. Man, that was some exquisit bass playing, just beautiful style. I hope that someday... I can afford an Alembic... Play THAT good... Impress people by playing that good ;) ... Be able to grow my hair like that :D . (The chicks really do dig it)

Overall, very impressive, I love it, and am anxiously awaiting next weeks piece.

20. Steven Melensen

Steven Melensen

Aug 2, 2005
    I've been playing with my 4 fingers (in a fingerstyle way) since one year and a half. But I only play with 3 fingers in this vid (except for the strumming) during the fast runs. And I do play with all my 5 fingers accross several strings at the very last chord progression (the pattern is pinky down, ring down, major down, index down, thump down, tump up)