Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Video of Me Playing Round Midnight

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by HaVIC5, Jul 3, 2005.

1. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
  2. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Very, very nice, young man. You've been studying. Based on the piece of furniture behind you, looks like your folks made you take some piano lessons as well.

Keep up the good work.

3. Malodorous

Malodorous

May 19, 2005
    Illinois
    Impressive, seemed a bit choppy about 3/4's of the way through, but the sound was delayed a bit so I'll blame that on my computer.

4. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I've never head the song before, but that sounded great. You definatley know how to put your chops to good use. I'm very impressed all around :)

5. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    The audio and video aren't properly synced, which is probably why you think it got choppy. Nothing I can do about that, though. :meh:

I actually studied piano for about five years before taking up bass, so that explains the background. I come from a musical family, so my mom uses the piano in her work also.

6. Malodorous

Malodorous

May 19, 2005
    Illinois
    That's exactly why.

7. Very, very impressing. Especially the uptempo part. Great work, indeed. Go for it!

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I dig. Monk rocks.

When it picks up, the holes in the walking bass seem a bit awkward, but there really is nothing you can do about that. Some bits just seem to fragmented. But really cool none the less, I never would have thought Round Midnight as awesome a solo bass piece as it you made it.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    P.S. What's that background noise? Are you playing on a pirate ship? Because you have to tell us if you are.

10. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    During the double time section, I tried to do a combinations of comping and walking, much like a solo guitarist might do. Yes, it can sound a little sporatic, but I'm content with what I've done, and since the time of the recording, my arrangement has become more fluid.

And the background noise is just the crappy camera I have. Nothing I can do about that, again.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Eh, to try to explain what I meant, during the double time part, it seems like there isn't enough tonal clarity in what you are doing. I don't mind the fragmented walking lines (I like that actually), but it comes off a little awkward on a tapped bass, but I'm sure it sounds better in a cleaner recording.

But I do dig it, this critique is coming from a guy who is much much less talented than yourself.

12. sheehan_17

sheehan_17

Jun 3, 2005
  13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I take it you didn't read Wrong Robot's post on bumping. ;)

It got quite a few listens, better than average really... I'd hang it up.

14. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Greedy is young bass player.

Wants more does bass player.

More he shall get. :)

15. definately a great video. almost makes me want to learn 2handed tapping. almost ;)

16. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    Very impressive!

17. karxix

karxix

May 26, 2003
    lebanon
    the link isn't working anymore...can anyone repost it or something