Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Video of my Corvette in action.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Sound Chaser, May 25, 2005.

1. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
  2. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    Id work on your slap technique more......and practice with a metronome you seem to be rushing the stu hamm solo and focusing more on gettin the notes out than playing to the melody.......def work on your slap technique for the awakening. its decent.

3. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    also work on writin your own solos not playin a bunch of everone elses solos for a solo :cool:

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I thought it was kinda neat! :bassist:

5. Thanks for sharing! If you try focusing more on playing melodies, you may have a brilliant solo bass playing career ahead of you.

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Suggestions:

1. You have some gnarly fret buzz going on. A setup might been in order or lighten your plucking
    2. Maybe try using the blend more, the only song the bridge pickup sounded correct on was Portrait of Tracy. If I not mistaken, you had the bridge soloed right?
    3. I'll back up what everyone is saying about the slapping bit, it has no groove.

But, the thing that is awesome is that you would get out and play this stuff to an audience. I commend you for that. That took some guts.

You have alot of talent, but in the brutal world of solo bass recording, talent has to take a backseat to composition and style. There are fifty Jaco/Wooten clones out there for every original voice. But the bassists with originality stand out. I'd like to hear some of your original compositions.

My two cents,
    Adam

7. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Not bad! some things were a bit rusty, but overall pretty good, also the guts too stand there and play to an audience on your own, well done.

8. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    good job man....

9. Great playing... might want to figure a better EQ to kick down those fret slide scratches, or lighten up on your hand when you move.

10. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I personally liked it. The only HUGE problem I had was...

You're bass was out of tune :( I'm very picky. I believe it was the G-string. Possibly the D.

Also on Eruption, There was...no structure. You held the first 4 Dun Dun Na's for 1 bar, then you held the next one for half :meh:

Besides that, it was good!

11. Make things flooowww into one another

something about amazing grace>eruption doesn't flow :p

12. Yep, some pretty serious tunings "issues" I think. :meh:

Ultimately, if you are out of tune, everything else is fairly irrelevant IMHO. ;) ;)

13. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I liked it a lot. Congrats, Chaser! My suggestions are:

1. If I was you, I'd take a moment for soloing the bridge pickup for "Portrait Of Tracy" (and maybe raising the volume a bit if needed).

2. I think you played the "Amazing Grace" part very close to the neck. For harmonics, playing near the bridge yields the best results.

3. Man, I also studied the "Eruption" part and transcribed it note-by-note from the original VH recording (well, it sounds a semitone higher because Eddie tunes his guitar one half step lower). I teach this to my students (excellent for developing stamina!) and I can tell you that your version is very different. I guarantee that my transcription is 100% accurate. If you (or anybody) are interested, I can send it in PDF format. Please let me know.

Great performance, man! I really liked it. :bassist:

14. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

And take that wise advice, man (that's, along with my double bass vibrato, my biggest frustration, BTW).

15. Ditto to what everyone else said. I enjoyed it.......hey man, your better than I am :D make that Way better :D

I like your hair too............. :D

16. lopsy_lu

lopsy_lu

Feb 15, 2005
    Scotland, UK.
    With Amazing Grace, it sounds better if once the harmonic is ringing, you play the root note fretted, thats the way Wooten does it himself :)
    Ditto on what everyone else said about the double tapping and tone.
    Its generally pretty good though, just needs a bit of refining y'know.

Keep on truckin

Andrew

17. it wasn't that bad, i only noticed it during the harmonic parts

18. I'd REALLY like to get your transcription of Eruption on bass. Sure, my bass friends might hate me for it (lol) but my guitar friends will worship me...

Doesn't look too hard really, is it in tab or notation? I'm 14 years old and looking for some guidance, I was wondering if you had suggestions for me...I can't get a recording of myself, but I've seriously been playing bass since December (Started in 6th grade, learned how to read sheet, I'm REALLY rusty now though, damn those tabs.)

My email is sardonic.insanity@gmail.com

Bassically,
    Brian

19. Good work!
    But like stated before, you'r terribly out of tune! Always make sure to tune before you get on stage, OR take the time to tune on stage with audience watching. Do it with harmonics, and they'll think it's part of the solo!

Next time: Make sure to turn your bottom knob a little bit further to the left. It'll calm down your fretnoise, but not ruin your clearness. (That's only my opinion, though....)

My 2 cents...