Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Video Projector or TV? Which type?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ifrit84, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England
    I want a "theater" type place to watch movies in my house, and here is the problem.

I'm pretty sure I want a video projector (dlp) and not a over priced backlit huge TV....

anyone ever get a Video Projector? I was thinking about the InFocus X1. It would be only for watching movies in the dark, and it makes more sense to me to get a projector and not a tv, since the projector is MUCH cheaper. Any thoughts on video projectors?

2. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I hope to do a projection home theater in the future, as well. Keep in mind, however, that while the upfront cost is fairly cheap, the maintenence isn't. The projector bulbs last about 4,000 hours and they can cost up to $800 to replace each time. In the long run projectors probably wont be all that cheap of a choice. But I still think they're awesome and want one for my home theater one day :hyper:

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    My buddy has a sub-1000 dollar BenQ projector in his living room. It makes about an 8 foot wide picture. It virtually disappears when not in use. It's hard to argue with that massive HD picture for under a thousand bucks but then again I guess you need to look into bulb replacement cost for whatever projector you're thinking about buying. Personally I'd be happy with a 37" or even 32" HD TV as long as I've got good surround sound. Although it would be very cool to have a giant screen. The thing with projectors is that if you wanna have a really sharp image during the daytime you need to have some good thick curtains that you can close. My friends have thick roman shades in their room.

brad cook