Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Video Vs. Teacher

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by A Rock, Jul 22, 2001.

1. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    i am a self tought bassist.
    and i feel i can learn things pretty fast.
    i was wondering whether it would be better to buy those instructional videos and save money or if it would be better to get lessons. i really want to learn how to play funk.

2. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Teacher. Definately.

Unless you only specifically want to learn slap, in which case try "The Slap Bass Program", which is an instructional video by Alexis, Schlrevsky (sp?) which both my teacher and I thought was perfect.

(It might be a bit expensive though)

3. I would assume that a teacher would be much better because you can ask them questions, and they can hear you and answer you. And there's probably some other reasons that I can't think of now, but I don't really have experience with either.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Most instructional videos don't deserve that name, inspirational videos might be a more appropriate term (at best).

One of the few exceptions is the aforementioned Slap Bass Program by Alexis Sklarevski.

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I triple the vote on the slap bass program. That video is incredible - I thought it was hopeless for me to do any slap bass, and I can now play almost anything he does in that video. It's a great instructional tape if you really use it and put the practice in. Star licks video's have been useless to me for any playing skills, although there may be a few beginner tapes that might be helpful.

6. im in the same boat as you mate, but for me, all i need is som1 to show me the very basics, so i guess ill be getting the video too instead of paying for a full set of lessons

7. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    this book is really lookin good for me...im thinkin of gettin it even tho its 50 bux.
    its either the video or or i can get 2 hrs of personal lessons for 60 bux.

those of u who have used it....do learn like some cool scales or licks too?

8. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I haven't seen that video yet, but it is on order.

When I ordered my new bass a couple of days ago, I asked Beaver Felton to send me one of his instructional videos. After explaining to him that I've played for a couple of years but had never tried to slap, he recommended that one you are talking about.

Beaver says that his "Super Chops" series is either very basic, or very advanced. Not much in between. He said that he could make more money selling me one of his, but he really believes in the Slap Bass Program.

Dave

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i would say, for the quick fix, go for the instructional videos, but always keep your eyes out for a good teacher. a good teacher will change your life - you find the right individual, they can have much more of a positive impact on your life than just teaching you a technique or 2, and they can also taylor the knowledge that they share to your abilities and needs, which you probably won't get from a video.

10. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    I'd say that teacher is very useful in the beginning of your career because they can show you fundamental technique, basic music vocabulary and set an example for how you can/should play.

My teacher gave me lots of interesting "tips" such as hand excercises to work on and patterns for major and minor scales etc. The basic sh*t that is rarely taught from a video tape. Now, when you've gotten past being a complete newbie a teacher will still be useful, but you can work with the fundamenta technique you know and go from there I think. Videos aren't bad either, check at your local library they might have bass instruction videos for rental (at least so did mine).... And books... well, you get the deal.. soak up on information and practice your ass off :D

/lovebown

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    they both have benefits, a video or book is good because you as long as you have them you have acess to the info in/on them and dont have to pay for it again.

Lessons are more personal and a bit better imo, mostly because you can ask specific questions right on the spot and get an answer, and that the instructor should notice any bad habbits that you may have and correct them on the spot.

another thing you may want to consider doing, if you havent already is go out and buy cd's of funk music. this way you can saturate it in your brain and develop some sort of emotional connection with it.

12. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    well the slap program looks good for slappin....is there ne other really good ones for other techniques?

and i was thinkin id watch the videos then if i have specific questions id just go in for a few quick lessons and get em answerd.

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Things a teacher can do that a video can't:

- Correct mechanics or other technical problems
    - Tailor a program to meet your needs
    - Answer questions
    - Provide encouragement
    - Provide constructive criticism
    - Provide the "right camera angle" to be able to even see what they're doing
    - Re-explain something, in different terms, to help you better understand a concept
    - Keep going after 60 mins, (when the tape has expired).

14. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    If you have the moolah, remember. ;)

One of the big advantages of video/book over lessons is the cost.

15. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I think lessons have a value, with the right teacher and attitiude, even though they' re somewhat pricey. I've found most instructors can be flexible with when and how oftten. That helps with the cost.

16. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Definetely go with teacher. Make sure you find a good one though that doesn't do like 50 other instruments.

I think you need that personal attention and someone to critique you and tell you what you are doing wrong to really progress. Plus if you don't understand something you can talk to them about it. Teachers are great.