Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

videogame musicians

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by juanpauribe, Oct 1, 2004.

1. juanpauribe

juanpauribe

Dec 16, 2001
    Colombia
    I was just listening to a few songs from final fantasy VII and I realized its such great music. The same goes for a lot of videogames that have music that will stay with you forever (SUPER MARIO anyone?)

So I was thinking, what's the deal with videogame musicians. Do they make good money? How much skill do they have? All that kind of thing. I am just very curious to know.

(the final fantasy VII boss fight song its on my play list on repeat by itself, it rocks!)

2. Coincedently, my marching band is playing the music of Final Fantasy for our show this year. Selections include:

1) I can fly (FFX)
    2) Sephiroth (One winged angel, FF7)
    3) Anxious Heart/Silence and motion (FF7)
    4) Liberi Fatali (FF8)

The best part is, we're winning with it!

3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Many of the video games we have played here, were made in Japan. Of course, the Japanese are crazy about video games, so composers of the music of the games make a good amount of money. I forget his name, but the guy who did Lunar: Silver Star Story (complete) talk at length about how he spent hours at the synth trying to program the exactly right tone for the piece to match the mood of the game at the moment.

A number of J-Pop superstars have also appeared on many video game soundtracks, the only one I can remember is on FFVIII, there was also on Resident Evil.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  5. I love the soundtrack to Prince Of Persia - Sands Of Time. I really like the Eastern music feel slash Western rock stuff.

For anyone who plays it, I like these songs:

- the music in the Hall of Learning where you fight the first lot of sand monsters (at the entrance to the Hall)
    - Almost at the end, where you run through that spiral staircase that never seems to end.

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    After having not seen Tom & Jerry for a long time, I again saw an episode a couple of years earlier (by the time I was deeply in bass&music), and was a bit amazed listening to it: those later '60s-'70s(-'80s?) episodes had such a strong contemporary jazz thing going on that didnt strike me at first when I watched it as a little kid.... it was stunning... and cool! :cool: :smug:
    Good thing that there still is Cartoon Network on the cable - though I havent seen an episode in a good couple of months...