Videos, Bass Players get no respect.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ottobasskirk, Jul 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ottobasskirk

Ottobasskirk

Jul 13, 2014
    Why do bass players get not respect when it comes to video? How many times have you heard a great band playing, with a bass player killing it, laying down a riff or melody, or any other kind of fantastic line that is truly driving the band, and the camera man is focused on the guitar players picking hand, or the drummers foot, or the back up singers back sides, or whatever. I have seen complete videos, with not one shot of the bass player, and in many cases, he was foundation and soul of the band.

seang15 and Rocker949 like this.
  2. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    Tiny speakers. No one hears what they actually do anymore.

-

Rocker949, shawshank72 and Stewie26 like this.
  3. I have a great story about a similar situation from when I played in my high school's band. So, every year the school would always put pictures of the performances in the yearbook. There were a massive amount of photos, but I didn't show up in a single one of them. There were literally photos that had my headstock, and others with the back end of my jazz bass. Everything between those two points apparently didn't exist though :roflmao:.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  4. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    I've noticed the same thing. As a bassist, I'm interested in what that player is up to. Inside videographers' and producers' heads is an automatic translation program. When "bassist" appears, it's immediately replaced by "skip."

5. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    The camera operators love the guitarist and singer.

6. addicted

addicted

May 23, 2012
    Lol I guess that is just how a bass player is? It is hard for people to appreciate what the bassist is doing. The bass sound itself is not very easily heard using conventional means. You have to have good earphone or speaker with proper low frequency response and even after having that it might still be difficult to hear the bassline. I was a drummer & a guitarist myself and I gotta admit that previously I was not quite sure what a bassist actually does in a band. I can not really listen to the bassline properly as well. LOL imagine that, a drummer who is not really sync-up with the band.

7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

The one that killed it for me was not a conventional music video but Yes' Live in Montreux concert DVD. You would hardly have even known there was a bassist in the band at all, practically the whole thing is cuts from Jon Anderson to Steve Howe's hands. About halfway through Chris Squire starts playing the Fish and they FINALLY cut to him, but even then there are a lot of cuts back to Howe playing the harmonic arpeggio over and over.

8. Ironbar

Ironbar Inactive

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    This.

Suck it up and deal with it. Bassists will always be the red-headed step child of the band. Unless you're Geddy Lee.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  9. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land

Bass Player's Revenge at 3:01

ShredderMaximus and seang15 like this.
  10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Someone posted a thread asking what bass was being played in a Slipknot video. I tried my darnedest to get a look but the camera didn't focus on the bass for more than the second.

Herrick likes this.
  11. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    You'd think there'd be more Squier since he wrote the checks.

Edit: lol I misspelled Squire

12. hrodbert696

Is that actually true? I've often seen the assertion, mostly here on TB, that as the last original member Squire "owned the band" and the rest were his employees; some have gone so far as to say that now Scotty Squire owns the band and all existing members report to her. Does anyone have any concrete evidence that that's really how the band was organized? It seems more likely to me that the band is a partnership and as new members joined they became new partners in the business.

13. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    Wiki is saying that Squire, White and Howe co-owned the name. Squire is the only one to appear on all albums. Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe could not record or tour as Yes. The assertion that Squire was owner lingers from the bygone days of print media. I think it's the most true statement for the above reasons, though White and Howe probably get some ownership.royalties.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  14. hrodbert696

I can't find that in the Yes Wikipedia article, which section is it in? ABWH couldn't operate as Yes because there was already an existing group working under the name - Rabin Squire White and Kaye. As far as royalties go, those apply to songs they co-wrote or recordings they're on, not the Yes name (and any former member would likewise get royalties on any songs they worked on). I've just never seen any interview or report that says "Chris owns the band so he"s boss." It seems more like a typical band partnership with partners rotating in and out.

15. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    It's in the Squire wiki.

16. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Maybe its the instrument. When I played French Horn in orchestras we were always in the picture, video, whatever.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021