1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Videos of pro bassists playing cheap basses!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tupac, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
  2. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    At least this time it actually was a fans bass. I saw Primus play at the Central Maine Civic Center in Lewiston. Ned Steinberger brought him a bass to try out on stage. Someone I knew at the concert thought that Ned Steinberger was just a fan who got Les to play his bass onstage.

C/S,
    Rev J

3. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    I wish Ned Steinberger would give me basses to try on stage :scowl:

4. So no matter what kind of bass he plays, he still sounds like himself? Take that all you high end snobs:bag:

El Pelusa likes this.
  5. Stu Hamm plays some basses that are certainly not what you'd call top end. Something in the $1500 zone and stock Hartke amps and cabs. He'd be happy with an amp with just volume knob and one of his stock Stu Hamm Fenders. Total rig something less than $2500.

6. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Man, Jaco only paid $250 for "The Bass of Doom". Granted that was $250 in the 60's when money went farther.

C/S,
    Rev J

7. Yep $250 in 1965 would now be worth $1800. Bit like the Stu Hamm example I guess. I've been told by quite a few top guys they don't want to be playing something rare and expensive because they want to be able to replace it quickly if something happens on the road. (Clapton once famously said he played a standard Strat he could replace locally in a hour if it went missing.)

8. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    DEUS_fgl96_StefKamilCarlens_01Cs.
    Stef Kamil Carlens before starting Zita Swoon was the bass player for dEUS and he used a cheap and very battered Washburn Force bass as his main instrument.
    [

And to show you guys how well he regarded that instrument: His back up was a Pedulla five string, which you can see him use on the first song of the video I posted, everything else is the Washburn..

[​IMG]
    This is Carlens' actual bass.

I can't for the life of me understand how a plywood Washburn Force bass could be on equal terms with a Pedulla but then again, Stef Kamil Carlens isn't the most conventional dude on the planet either.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  9. JulienneFrankus

JulienneFrankus

May 4, 2015
    Go to any local gig and you will see some incredible players using a Squier with aftermarket pickups.

Same thing with guitars bro, Plenty of people out there with lots of skill using $300 instruments with new pickups.

Mexican Jazz/p used everywhere