Videos (VHS or DVD) That you think are great

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by SlimT, Feb 25, 2004.

1. SlimT

Feb 27, 2002
    Eden Prairie, MN
    I could have sworn that I already started at thread on this, but I can't seem to find it! (I musta played in the reggae band too long!)

I'm looking for those videos that you learned the most from and why you like them so much.

I would like this to be as broad as possible. That said, if you have any that specifically address the following, that would be great too:

1) Left and right hand muting techiques
    2) Purcussive techniques other than slapping
    3) Blues methods that go beyond the basic shuffle and into
    more walking type stuff (like Allman Brothers, Stevie Ray
    Vaughn, etc.)
    4) Scales and other exercises for the blues and blues soloing.

Oh, yeah, as far as the above techniques are concerned, I am listening to the tunes I want and learning the bass lines, but I was looking for some more understanding of what I'm doing so I can build some lines and find my own style.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Victor Wooten - live at bass day '98 is great
  3. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Both of Stu Hamms videos helped me a great deal.

Stu Hamm- "Slap pop and tap" This has helped me with many slapping and poping techniques. Flams and Double stops. Two handed tapping technique.

Stu Hamm 2- "Deeper inside the bass" Has helped me to fine tune my harmonics. From natural, to pinched, to false, to tapping harmonics.

Another must have is from Victor Wooten.

Victor Wooten-"Super Bass Solo Technique" He.....well what can I say, Vic is the man! His video goes into "Double Thumping" or "Double thumbing" He dosen't really break things down for you to much, but you learn more from watching this guy jam. Not to mention watching the amazing things Regi Wooten does on the video.

A thumbs up for all three I mentioned here.
  4. Cliff 'Em All....all rock bassists should own that, it's a requirement.

Metallica's Year And A Half video collection is GREAT. The first video is them in the studio making the black album, shows them working on making songs, Kirk working on solos, etc. etc. Then towards the end they shoot the video for sandman.

The second video is them going on tour for the album. America, europe, moscow, they go everywhere.

It's really a great package. Shows the whole make-cd-then-tour-it process. Total running time is about 3+ hours.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Gary Willis - Progressive Bassics
  6. `ash

Feb 26, 2004
    I 2nd that.

By the way, what is the track at the begining of the video?
  7. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I'm still waiting for Ed Friedland's "Slap Bass" DVD (music store won't have it until 3/5, I guess it's being delivered by carrier pigeon?). I'll post a review when I get it if anyone's interested.
  8. I would highly recomend John Myungs progressive bass concepts. It´s not very entertaining but he brings up some good stuf to learn and practice.

It is easy to get bored in the begining of the video when he just goes through chord arppegios in major, minor, dominant and diminished. He even stops playing for a second saying something like: I know this is boring but in the end this will help you alot. An you know what, he´s right, I am more secure on playing behind diffrent chord progression, it´s become like second nature to me now.

He also brings up his backwards modal approach to scales wich is a good for memoricing scales and to stay in key while jamming.

You get his view on tapping, some cool ways of using bassharmonics plus a bunch of good exercises on buildin strength, right-hand tecnique, left-hand tecnique and more.

He also teaches you to play some cool Dream Theater parts.

To sum it up. It´s a great video for a serious player looking to expand his playing.
  9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Fingerstyle Funk by Rocco Prestia is a really well done video with a lot of great grooving.

The Slap bass program covers left and right hand muting quite a bit too.
  10. SlimT

Feb 27, 2002
    Eden Prairie, MN
    First, let me say thanks to everyone for their contributions.

I had seen the Jaco video, but always held off buying it because of the price. I found a DVD version at Amazon for $39! Plus, they had some special where if you applied for an Amazon credit card, you got $30 of any purchase over $30, so, it cost me $9! Before this, the lowest price I saw for this must have video was $49.

I bought the Roscoe Beck Blues video and what a little disappointed with it. It's not that there isn't great stuff in there, it's just that it wasn't the stuff I was expecting. If you're into two handed tapping, you would probably dig it.

I bought a Bill Dickens DVD that had two videos on it. This was a pretty amazing video! It's the first time I've seen the Bass Cam in action.

I've got the John Myung video on order, thanks leffe luffer!

Blackbird, thanks for the recommendation for Rocco. I will definitely have to check that one out. Is the Slap bass program you are referring to on the Rocco program, or is that the Stu Ham video?
  11. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I`ll recommend too the "Slap Bass Program" by Alexis Sklarevski.
    It`s a bit old (maybe 1988) but it`s superb. Starts from basic technique to advanced slapping stuff (double thumping not included).
    The guy is a tremendous teacher and a great player.

I guess it`s the ultimate slapping video.

Check it out
  12. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio

you're always a couple of steps ahead of me!!! :spit:

;) :D

i would like to second (or third) the slap bass program also.

i got the louis johnson vid for 19 bucks and he's scary and very oldschool quick! get that one as well...
  13. rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    "Accelerate Your Bass Playing" by Anthony Vitti. It's just a good solid instructional video with loads of useful content and no fluff.
  14. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003
    Chuck Rainey - Fusion Bass

'emulate players' styles'

'your imagination is your best friend'
  15. I have Modern Electric Bass-Jaco

It is very good...lots of excersises to do
  16. I have Norm Stockton's videos which I think are really good - covering a really wide range of topics. I'm waiting for his next one which will hopefully cover some more advanced technical topics - "Grooving for heaven" volumes 1-3 have so far been more groove oriented. Very practical advice.

I recently borrowed Ed Friedland's slap bass DVD and it is really nicely put together. It builds very gradually so that you get the hang of the main points before progressing, but by the end he's demonstrating and breaking down Marcus Miller, Larry Graham style grooves. Very cool.

I had a look at the Bill Dickens DVD but was a little put off with the speed of progression. He doesn't take a lot of time to explain fundamentals, but jumps ahead to things like triplets etc. Which is fine I guess if you already know the basic stuff. He marketed it as a "funk" program, but never seems to mention fingerstyle funk - which as Roccoe's video shows is every bit as funky as slap.

Apparently Todd Johnson is thinking about doing a video (or series) on building walking basslines. If that comes out it'll be very worth getting.
  17. ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    If you're looking for the SRV stuff check out Tommy Shannon's Double Trouble Bass. I don't have it myself but have talked to a few people that really liked it. And for the SRV style you probably won't find anyone closer than Tommy.
  18. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Does anyone have the Keith Horne video, if so how is it? I saw it on the net but it costs alot, and takes 4 to 6 weeks to get hear so I don't know if its worth it. (I guess I need the instant gratification)
  19. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    Ed Friedland's Slap Bass DVD is excellent

while not an instructional video, Marcus Miller's Live in Concert DVD is a veritable clinic on how to play some seriously funky bass

the Slap Bass video is excellent, wish it came in DVD format
  20. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Fingerstyle Funk and The Slap Bass Program are two different videos.

Rocco did the first, Alexis Sklarevski did the second.

I've seen the Stu Hamm videos. Not bad, but they didn't grab me as much.

Edit; ski, with an "i" not with a "y" ;)