1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vienna Hamburg bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jonathonriver, Oct 18, 2010.

1. jonathonriver

jonathonriver

Oct 18, 2010
    I played upright in my high school orchestra and unfortunately 10 years have passed since I have picked up a bass. I have been looking to get back into it and have found a bass but I am unsure if I should buy it. It is a Vienna Hamburg bass, and it’s in great shape with no scratches or obvious repairs. The guy selling it has a number of electric basses and says he got the upright about 8 years ago and never got into it, he says it has stayed in its stand for the last 3 years. I talked him down to $550.00 and he is throwing in the case. I am just getting back into the bass and will not be performing anytime soon so I don't need the most professional of instruments. I guess I am wondering if this is a good buy.

2. Rob Thompson

Rob Thompson Supporting Member

Hi, welcome to talkbass!

Assuming you have not already made the purchase, my advice is to steer clear of "Vienna Hamburg" basses. Take a look around for basses with a proven track record, like an Engelhardt, Kay, or a laminate Shen or Eastman. Expect to spend a minimum of about 1200 for a bass with a decent setup, 550 is not realistic.

Tell us where you're located and we could possibly recommend places to go look at basses.

Though, there used to be a guy, Brandon Tuomiko, on talkbass who liked them....:bag:

3. bass_lord_mutha

bass_lord_mutha Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Odessa, TX
    It doesn't matter much what we think. Some here will think you're getting a steal, while others will think you're wasting your money. The important things for you to consider are:

1) Is it easy to play? Of course, even if it didn't have the best setup, a competent string repairman can give most any upright a great setup.

2) How does it sound to you? Is it anemic or boomy? Does it have a better arco tone/volume than pizzicato or vice versa?

3) And the most important thing: Do YOU like it? Everying else are moot points if in the end you still aren't too keen on the bass yourself.

Different strokes for different folks :D

BTW, I just paid $200 for a 1989 Glaesel Georg Herrmann DB-66 and it kills the $2500 Eastman in my store right now ;)

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    +1

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
  6. jonathonriver

jonathonriver

Oct 18, 2010
    I appreciate the input from everybody and I believe I have made my choice. I agree that if it looks and sounds good it doesn’t matter how much you pay for it, however I feel that I would have to put a little work into the Vienna. I have decided to save up for an Englehardt EM-1 Maestro Bass that comes with a pro set up and a $150.00 allowance for strings included for under $1200.