Viennese shaped bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Notaluthier, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Notaluthier

Notaluthier

Oct 7, 2021
    I’ve seen many people play basses that look like the attached photo. Does anyone know any modern companies that make basses in this shape?

Attached Files:

2. Notaluthier

Notaluthier

Oct 7, 2021
    More photos

Attached Files:

3. Opus_Pocus

Opus_Pocus

Dec 10, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    mjt0229 likes this.
  4. Notaluthier

Notaluthier

Oct 7, 2021
  5. Notaluthier

Notaluthier

Oct 7, 2021
  6. BassFalcon

BassFalcon Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2020
  7. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    "Viennese" basses like the K+T bass above or the Gellert/Thir basses below have sloped shoulders but wide ribs:

Gellert double basses restoration - Gellert Basses

They are gamba shaped (and the scrolls usually reflect a gamba/cello-peg design); my late friend Robert Giormenti had a Viennese model (gamba in the photo) that was a canon, if a bit boxy to get around. I don't know of any American or Chinese or other relatively mass market maker who has adopted the shape. Thomas Wolf makes an elegant violone in that model: Wolf Instruments.

I couldn't tell exactly (maybe the slope of the shoulders and the thickness of the ribs) but the Viennese bass feel quite different from Czech/Bohemian basses that the Upton model is based on.

Attached Files:

8. BassFalcon

BassFalcon Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2020
    I guess I was missing something, thank you for the correction. The top photo looks more like the Upton with wider shoulders, the old timey photo does look like it has more sloped shoulders than the Upton though, and of course the depth is hard to gauge. The Upton I posted was a 5/8th size, I couldn’t easily find a photo of a 1/2 sized bohemian model but I remember seeing one somewhere in my recent Upton research that did look like the shoulders sloped a bit more. I didn’t know that “Viennese” was a legitimate shape. They need to calm down over in Vienna with their obscure tunings and obscure bass body shapes, lol. Lord knows what else they are up to.

9. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    [​IMG]

10. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Don,

Save room for dessert!

Attached Files:

dhergert likes this.
  11. wjl

wjl

Jul 18, 2017
    near Frankfurt, Germany
    endorsing nothing except maybe free and open source stuff, like Linux
    Keith Rawlings and BassFalcon like this.
  12. Don't forget that the ribs are often flush with the top and back—no overhang like we're all used to. Must be hell if the ribs warp if you have to pull off the top or back and then the outline doesn't match properly.

james condino likes this.
  13. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    Hannah Mayne's gamba model also seems to have a Viennese look to it. But not close to 10k.

Nowadays this kind of Viennese violone-style bass seems to be a specialty of Hungarian makers like Gellert, Gyorgy Baranyai, and Barnabás Rácz.

I've seen a number of Baranyai instruments in the US in the 10k range. Probably higher now, though. I think Robertson's is his US dealer.

14. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
  15. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    There is nothing complicated about that design. The real question is more, who is willing to pay for a bass with that design. Most makers tend to follow players needs and desires, not just sit around building esoteric whims waiting for a buyer to appear.

16. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think the design has more of a following in Austria and parts of Eastern Europe where the Thir-style/viol is part of a certain tradition:

salcott likes this.
  17. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    More:

and Ludwig Streicher:

(I'm not sure but maybe Racz is playing Streicher's bass in the Dittersdorf. Just a guess)

salcott likes this.
  18. Notaluthier

Notaluthier

Oct 7, 2021
    Those are two of my favorite players and instruments!

19. Blues Daddy

Blues Daddy

Jul 1, 2016
    . . . . would the shape of this bass be considered 'Viennese' style?
    IMG_20211003_004103353.jpg
    (I have no clue as to the maker . . . . was told that is is Chinese made)