1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Views on Big Al by Musicman (tone, comfort, NOT style)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Musicman20, May 4, 2010.

1. I already love the looks on this bass.

So, I was wondering what people think if the tone and comfort of the SSS setup. I'm more than likely going for the 5 string version.

Thanks

2. I've got a fretless Dargie Delight 2 Big Al 4 SSS and love it. So much so, that I'm sourcing a fretted Big Al to set up with flatwounds.

The SSS tone and tonal options are amazing, the comfort factor is brilliant. The SSS is really a Swiss Army knife of a bass, combining the tonal qualities of a Jazz bass, P bass and Stingray.

I use the active/passive set-up as a preset circuit ie like a Fender Jaguar.

Going from active bridge p/up (Jazz bass sound) or humbucker for the Stingray tone (all pickup buttons out - active in), to a passive r&b sound (ie the P bass tone) with the passive tone control already dialled down, by selecting the middle pickup only and pushig the active/passive button out. Heaven!

The best clip I've seen that shows the SSS versatility is the clip at the top of the Big Al page on Bass Central's website.

Have fun.

Cheers

Andy

3. Thanks, versatility plus that cool EB tone is exactly what I like about it!

4. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    The MM website says that there's also a single humbucker 4 string, but I've only seen this configuration as a 5. Anyone seen one?

5. If it says single H for the 4 string on the specs, no doubt its a fairly new addition, as is the Big Al 5 in itself.

Exciting and interesting times for an EB fan. :)

I never had chance to get into the Bongo, but Im hoping I love the Big Al.

6. chris lykins

chris lykins Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    phoenix az
    To me its one of the most comfortable musicman basses Ive ever played and I own a Bongo, stingray, and Anniversary. If you like the looks, you wont be dissapointed. The neck is awesome and its tone in series is awesome. My only complaint is mine has a big difference in volume between passive and active.

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I guess it can't be helped that the volume will jump if the EQ isn't set flat when switching modes. However, IME as long as I don't have any boost dialed in, my Big Al switches from active to passive and back with no volume spikes.

8. Ive been offered a pretty damn good price on a new order, (3-4 months delivery).

Ive opted for extras incl the Vintage Sunburst finish and Vintage White Pearloid guard.

I have a feeling if I leave it for 6 months the price will bump up...

9. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    As long as the EQ is set flat there is almost no perceptible difference in volumE on mine or any of the dozen or so others I have played. I can speak to all Big Al's but that's been my experience.

Of course I almost always play it in passive, so that wouldn't effect me much.

10. chris lykins

chris lykins Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    phoenix az
    Thats been my experience as well with the anniversary but not the Al. When I received it the series setting didnt work at all so I sent it to Ernie Ball and they fixed it as well as sent me an extra pickguard! Maybe there is something else wrong with the wiring or preamp gain but it hasnt bothered me enough to send it back.

11. I expect a small change in volume, but it's just part of the active/passive option. Very close to ordering...

12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Just got me that exact bass. :) UPS delivery scheduled for Tues May 12. Will offer my thoughts and some pics shortly after.

13. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    The Big Al with be the next two new basses that I buy. I love the looks and sound of them. I have not played one yet but I am pretty sure it will be comfortable.

14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I really want a Precision V. But the Big Al is on the other shoulder sayin'; "Hey Man! Look at ME!"

15. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Played one these SSS today at GC. Very Very Cool. Super-Duper comfy neck, relatively light weight, and a whole boat load of different tones available. Impressive!

16. I'm ordering tomorrow :)

17. Great basses, very comfortable and very versatile! I only got rid of mine b/c I found it too versatile- in other words, I couldn't go more than a couple tunes without mucking with it. Drove my band, soundguys, and myself nuts!

18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I'm getting tomorrow. :) :)

19. Pictures! Please!

4 or 5 string? SSS or H?