Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Views On the ESP F-254

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by monkeylover009, Aug 29, 2004.

1. I was recently browsing the net looking at bass guitar reviews and stuff and found a beautiful guitar.
    The Tiatnium finish ESP F-254 is on of the sweetest basses ive ever seen and i want it, the problemm is it was only given a 5/10!
    Is it really that bad?

2. *bump*

3. *bump*

4. is noone gonna help me!!!!!!!!!

5. *bump*

6. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Hi. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but if I'm not mistaken, the F-254 is a little more or less a neck-thru version of the F-204. I did own and ESP LTD F-204 up until last January when I traded it away for a new Spector Pro Q5. I felt the need for a 5-string and couldn't keep both. I also own a Fender P and a J and I wan't parting with either of those. I hated to give up the ESP too, but financially, it was really my only option in obtaining the 5'er. I did like the sound/tone options it gave and it did play very comfortably. It kicked some serious booty in a live setting. I found the same thing as you that it is either a bass you love or hate thus the 5/10 ratings on average. You'll find that the best advice for any bass is that if it works for you for tone, feel, fit and finish, then go with it.

One of the big negatives I found about it was recording. I posted a review elsewhere where I thought the bass recorded well, but once I got into a more sofisticated studio, I found that not to be the case. The better the recording gear got, the worse it sounded and I couldn't clean it up. My Fender P on the other hand sounded better and better. That's now the only one I record with. Just my .02

Cheers,
    Hammer