1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vigier 4 fretless with metal F-board

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LorenzoHW, Oct 3, 2016.

1. LorenzoHW

LorenzoHW

Sep 24, 2016
    On reflection, this is just a wonderful fretless. So friendly and playable. French! But you give a touch of vibrato, the note just hangs there with sustain that lasts for a week. It just sounds like what you want your fingers to sound like. By a long way the best fretless I have ever tried. Shapely, too. Bit heavy but nothing compared to my beloved Thumb V, of course

DSC_5654.JPG

2. LorenzoHW

LorenzoHW

Sep 24, 2016
    In case you want to hear the Vigier, here is a phone recording. I am very amateurish on the bass, but you can still hear what a Vigier metal FB sounds like when an incompetent bassist like me plugs one into a really crap amp. It still sounds divine and peachy even in these circs, no?

They are just so incredibly well made. French craftmanship at its very best.

Feeling shy, but here goes

Dluxe likes this.
  3. EVerderame

EVerderame

Feb 17, 2016
    i've seen the fretless Vigier guitar:

and i love the sound
    sorry, i haven't listened to your jam :p

4. LorenzoHW

LorenzoHW

Sep 24, 2016
    Probably best that you don't!

5. LorenzoHW

LorenzoHW

Sep 24, 2016
    But ssshh this was the only time I took the Vigier for a walk in the park with my daughter, she is singing on the right of screen (in tune).

6. EVerderame

EVerderame

Feb 17, 2016
    heheh, i did, it gets hot after a few minutes.
    the sound of the bass is very cool!

LorenzoHW likes this.
  7. LorenzoHW

LorenzoHW

Sep 24, 2016
    Can I be totally inappropriate? Just told you how much I recommend Vigier if you fancy a stunning fretless experience. Gorgeous. And just wanted to say that in the last year I have fallen totally in love with an old F-Bass. Was veering back to 4-string, found this this thing, and my god does it sound good. Here is a v amateur recording of chameleon from last year from the very day I bought the F. I restrung, plugged in and off we were. Bit of EBS octave pedal later; that is a good pedal, no?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    Roxbororob and EVerderame like this.
  8. EVerderame

EVerderame

Feb 17, 2016
    is this also a Vigier? I really like that metal board, reminds me the indian Sarod.
    I am currently "rebuilding" an old fretless fiver, a very fine instrument that i bought very cheap, because the previous owner decided to sell the pickup and messed with the electric.
    my luthier is taking so long to make it work... :[

9. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Metal? Technically that makes this is a bass with one long fret, not quite fretless. Still cool though.

10. EVerderame

EVerderame

Feb 17, 2016
    that's what Guthrie Govan says about his guitar

11. 5below

5below

Jan 18, 2015
    Louisville, KY
    IS this the best bass for metal?

diegom, ThuzzleFump and EVerderame like this.
  12. EVerderame

EVerderame

Feb 17, 2016
    not sure, but probably the best metal bass

ed morgan, ThuzzleFump and 5below like this.
  13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I actually got to play with that guy once a while back, in England :). And go out to breakfast the next day and watch him eat blood pudding, which I'll never forget as it made me unable to finish my breakfast. Sadly, this is the only pic I ever got of that...

guthriegovanjoenerve_zps66d64ccc.

My band, The Nerve, was recording with Guthrie's pal (guy in the vid in my signature) who I was touring with at the time, and who I 'm pretty certain started the whole Vigier fretless guitar thing. We asked him to throw some fretless on one of our songs. He picked up the guitar, plugged it in, and improvised the part from 57 second on, in one take. Took all of 1 minute from suggestion to completion.

14. KickingBass

KickingBass Look into it

Wow that's so cool that you played with Guthrie Govan, that guy is insanely good. I'd be nervous (no pun intended) but you must be pretty good to play with him.

Joe Nerve likes this.
  15. Zarathustra3

Zarathustra3

Aug 21, 2012
    Doesn't the string stick to the board though? Wonderful fretless tone either way.

16. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    Mississippi
    That A-string really got some love!

AztecViking likes this.
  17. The fingerboards on those Vigier fretless models are brass. I had Vigier on my "to visit" booth list for the last winter NAMM show but never quite made it there. I really like the tones Ivan Rougny from Mørglbl gets out of their fretted basses.

18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Sounds lovely! So no need to feel shy. Well done.

LorenzoHW likes this.
  19. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    John McVie had a Series 1 with a stainless steel board back in the day.

FM_JMcVie09.

AztecViking and LorenzoHW like this.
  20. VigierUSA

VigierUSA

Jan 7, 2013
    Kingston, NY
    General Manager USA, Vigier Guitars
    These older boards are actually Delta Metal... Not exactly brass. The newer ones are made out of an alloy we call Imetal. Happy to answer any questions anyone's got!

The fretless guitars are always what gets the attention, but the basses shine. It's a world of difference playing a metal board. I wish I had one of my own!