Vigier Excess

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Jan 7, 2003.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i have a chance to trade for a red Excess.

any thoughts on these puppies?

2. Never had an Excess, but the Passion and Arpege I had were great.
  3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Vigier Excess are said (by their father, Patrice Vigier) to be an alternative to a Rickenbacker, without the fuss.

The fact that Roger Glover, a loooooooong-time Rickenbacker user, has now switched to a Vigier Excess, seems to confirm that.

Hope this helps.
  4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    hey Fred,
    is it an excess 1 or 2?

The excess 2 as new electronics and no pickguard.

Vigier excess are great basses, very light, good playablity. Benedetti pickups do sounf good but trust me, they are as noisy as hell :(
    I've used them in one of my basses and will never use them again...

I've tried a custom passive excess, and as there wes no preamp to amplify the noise, it was ok.

Anyway, maybe fitting custom (aero?) pickups to one of this bass should make a Super axe

BTW, for which bass are you trading the excess?

Peace, JP
  5. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    To my ears and IME, excess are much more versatile (tone wise) than rics.

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    It looks like a Peavey. Sorry
  7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    thanks for the input all!

i was thinking of trading a couple of Lexicon units for it.

which would be a fair deal.

yeah, i'm not too hot on the looks myself. but, i like the Vigier guitar line, thought i'd give the basses a shot.

8. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    With a mangled SR5 pickguard, no less! :p

Given the pickup locations, I'd find it strange that it could sound much like a Rick. It's also a bolt-on???

Too bad about the pickups being noisy though.
  9. Vigier claim to use some kind of noise/hum-reducing circuit in the Excess bass- does anyone know more on this?
    It could be an Alembic-style phantom coil for hum reduction - but as for an actual circuit-:confused:

ps. Geezer Butler is currently pictured in an ad (in Bass guitar Magazine) for the Excess.

also when Roger Glover was playing his Excess (a maple-neck model) in the Classic Albums program for Deep purple's Machine head, it didn't really sound much like a Rick......more like an active Jazz bass- although with a different p/up pan and EQ setting who knows.
  10. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Whatever he uses (I haven't seen any phantom coil), it doesn't reduce the hiss enough. I've tried a brand new excess 2 last week and it did hum a lot. It is however one of the coolest 4 string basses I've played. Simple design, great neck, great unplunged sound.

About looks, the excess 2 is prettier because it lacks pickguard. The one I tried featured a new "indus" mate black finish. I'll try to shoot some picks of it on thursday if the shop still have it.

11. dkmonroe

Jul 3, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I have an Excess II - I actually won it from Deep Purple's website in a contest.

It's beautiful in person, and also plays beautifully.

The pickups are noisy, but I contacted Vigier about it, and they said basically that under normal circumstances, you shouldn't adjust the bass or treble over the middle mark. They say it's an extreme setup, which I guess means that you would add extra bass or treble sparingly, and only with a big amp rig. I keep my tone controls dead in the middle, and it sounds fantastic.

It has a hum-cancelling curcuit, and it helps considerably with the noise.
  12. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I saw Deep Purple live about 4 months ago, and that Vigier sounded awesome through a couple of Ampeg 8x10s.
  13. Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    Roger glover uses Ampeg??? which amp?
  14. I have not played one personally but have heard good things about them. I have heard it is something like a cross between a RIC and a P bass.

and Geezer uses one so it must be good :bassist:
  15. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Glenn Hughes is also a Vigier player.
  16. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I saw Jonas Hellborg play one of these in Winston-Salem with Shawn Lane in about 1998-99. I think Jonas ran it straight through a DI intp the board at Ziggy's. Sounded like a big ass jazz bass as I recall.

17. Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    it's not because i'm french but i think it's really a nice bass. I'm a fan of the fender precision too but i've never tried a Rick.
    Is it easy to find this bass in the USA?
  18. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    You can see/hear roger playing one in gov't mule's deepest end dvd. in the photo section it shows several people, especially jason newstead, checking out his bass
  19. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Sound wise, they're the love child of a Precision and a Rickenbacker, looks, well.. it's the bastard son of a mutilated Peavey SR5 :D
  20. M.T.A.C.

M.T.A.C. Banned

Dec 8, 2007
    The one posted on ebay right now says its dead quiet. Mmmmm..........