1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Villex Electronics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by orpheus_sword, Apr 23, 2009.

1. orpheus_sword

orpheus_sword

Mar 28, 2009
    I'm considering ordering a set of the Villex pickups/electronics for my MIA J. When I went to their site I found two options for J-bass pickups.

http://villex.com/pickups.html

Can anyone describe the tonal differences between the two V2JSC vs. V2JLH? I've read all the great reviews and listened to their sound clips, and like everyone else I'm impressed.

Somewhat unrelated, does anyone know how the pickups are wired? I mean, series v. parallel? Or do you have that option at installation?

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The SC are single coil pickups, and the LH are hum-canceling.

I'd think just as with any pickup you can wire it in parallel or series with another pickup.

Normally multiple pickups are wired in parallel.

3. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    IME the LH has a touch more low mids and mids and it has a better S/N ratio and a touch hotter output, compared with the SC. Both have great S/N ratio, though. Both are great, but the LH is better suited to my tonal taste. Villex pickups are top of my list, so far (and I've virtually tried most everything of what is out there)

SGD Lutherie is spot on regarding the wiring (as always of course)

4. Can't comment about the different electronics, but, you will NOT be disappointed with Villex. I have a fretted and fl that are Villex-equipped.

Good luck.

5. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I am waiting for my next set of Villex pickups for my fretless.

6. sandman

sandman

Apr 13, 2004
    Melbourne
    Just installed a set of SCs, the complex wiring diagram took me a while, but these pickups SOUND INCREDIBLE!!!
    +1 to everything frb has said about these pickups ever.
    thanks.

7. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Glad to hear that you like them. The longer you take your time going through the pallet of tones available, the more tones you'll discover and you'll be able to finetune the sound to the specific desired tone

I have just received another Custom fretted bass with Villex pickups and electronics (two days ago, in fact). Need I say whether I like the tone of not?;)

8. Villex is my new favorite jazz pickup, replaced Nordstrands in my Thumb 5 and I'm very, very pleased with results. Use them without active electronics.