1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Villex or Nordstrand with a East U-Retro 5 knob pre-amp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mettec, Apr 20, 2006.

1. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I am considering having Warmoth make me a custom 5-string jazz bass. I have picked out most of the hardware I would like to have installed on this bass except the two most important pieces, the pickups and electronics. Doing a search for threads on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that I would like either Villex or Nordstrand jazz pickups installed with an East U-Retro 5 knob pre-amp. I want a good passive tone for recording and certain songs but also an active tone that cuts through during live performances. I am still not sure what pickups to use or even what configuration (Jazz, soapbar, split coil etc...) to use. Since I play mostly hard rock/metal and occasionally funk and alternative, I want a pickup that has a nice growl, be deep and throaty with a smooth top end. Has anyone used these pickups and/or pre or do you have another option for me to try?

2. polic

polic

Apr 11, 2006
    For sure I know that the U-Retro kicks ass. If you're getting a custom made bass you should try out some basses that have the Jazz p-up for the neck and a soap bar for the bridge p-up and see how you like the blend. Then you can just select your brand. After all your ears are the judge of what sound you truly want. Personally I'd go with Basslines or Barts.