Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Villex P?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by boogiebass, Dec 23, 2004.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Anybody had experience with a Villex P pickup? I'm thinking of swapping out the Duncan Hot P in my new Hanewinckel for a Villex. Just looking for some real-world experience before I make the move. Thanks! :bassist:

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Carl,
    haven't used the P on it's own, but have used a 5 string Villex P/J set.
    Sounds great, nice open frequency response, has oomph. Being able to adjust the mids gives you lots of passive tonal options.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Cool, David! Thanks for the input. I think I'm gonna try a set, especially given the overall positive chatter about these pups. :)

4. No experience with the Villex, but I can understand swapping out the Hot P... too middy for my taste. The one I had didn't last that long in my MIM-P.

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I have one here but I'm waiting on one of my customs to be finished to try it out properly. In the mean time I'm going to try it in one of my old Samicks, but work and housemove are conspiring against it. I'll post some impressions as soon as I can.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, I actually don't mind the strong mids as much as I find it a bit difficult to tame the low-end without losing individual note articulation. And the Hot P has no upper register at all to speak of...comparatively, of course, when going up against other P pickups.

I think the Hot P sounds about the way it's designed to. I'm just not sure if that's what I want in this new Hanewinckel. And it never hurts to have options! ;)

7. callofthebow

callofthebow

Oct 19, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    does villex have a website?

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Don't believe so. But he lives down the street from Pete Hanewinckel and Pete has ordered my P pickup from him. Installation is set for Jan. 15, assuming no delays. Should be interesting... :D

9. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I have been using the Villex pick ups int the Adler 11 string this year. They sound great and record well. No hum, buzz, just clean sound.

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Cool! :cool:

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    http://www.villex.com
    Not great, but it's there.
    email Mr Villex (tovillex@aol.com) and he'll happily answer your questioms.