Villex PU's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bottomdweller, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Does anyone know anything abouVillex pickups? I have a set of soapbars in a Warmoth Gecko that I bought. I know they are passive and have a V-V-T set up. But there is a "mid" knob that I can't exactly figure out. If anyone knows what this does exactly,I'd appreciate the info. Thanks...
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  3. Your extra pot is for an interactive mid control that's wired into the pickup's coils. You can use it to dial in a wider range of tonal colors, similar to what you can do with active EQ. Cutting the mid pot alone will give you a nice mid scoop for slap bass. I've also been able to get some nice pseudo-upright fingerstyle sounds as well by cutting the mid and tone and plucking close to the fingerboard.

I have a Villex P pup in my '78 P bass. They have a full, natural sound that really brings out the true voice of the instrument. Output is strong and clean, with good separation and clarity. My gripe with the stock pups was that my tone would turn to mud if I tried to dial in too much bass. The Villex pups give me a nice bass output without loosing definition.