1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Villex vs. Basslines AJJ-1

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ArpeggiFish, Feb 26, 2008.

1. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    Hi,

Yes i no Villex are passive and AJJ-1's are active, but which is better? Can both cover broad styles? I would pair the Villex with their tone circut and the Basslines with a STC. I would use these pickups in a Modulus Genesis VJ.

Thx

-Arpeggi

2. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008

3. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I use Villex "Classic" for many styles: Metal, Rock, Blues, Latin, Dub, Reggae, Top 40 (to name a few) and I only get compliments for my sound. I would not use Villex Classic (on their own) if I needed glass shuttering highs, but they can be combined with any active preamp (so frequencies can be boosted). In reality, both preamps in my basses (Bartolini 3band and Aguilar OBP2, respectively) are in bypass cause I never needed to activate them. Now with the NVT line of Villex you get a passive cut and boost in bass, mid and treble. I have several basses with SD pickups (and couple of them have SD preamps) but they don't see as much use as the Villex loaded

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I had 3 sets of the old pro-actives, when they had dips. 2 and 3 dip PJ's and a 2 or 3 dip J set. Have a pair of Villex soaps and MM/J originals.

No reviews on the SD's cause I had them before I started doing the reviews. There is on the Villex in FAQ Dimento's Soap experiment (don't recall if I did the MM/J's). The soaps internally are the MM setup so basically the same. I've had both in a bass for a while and it's splitting hairs if there's any difference.

The SD's and Villex are both comparatively contemporary toned pups - modern, refined, whatever like term. The pro-actives were more even frequency spread and in recall most similar to Lace Sensor Fenders.

Both makes work fine to a broad range of styles, but they're not alike tonewise. I like the Villex quite well and will keep one of the two sets.

5. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    On the villex website, it doesn't specify which pickups are classic and which are NVT. Can you please specify which ones they are?

6. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    What you see on the website refers to Villex Classic. If I understood correctly, you are looking for a set of JJ pickups. Villex pickups offer the V2JSC and the V2JLH for J pickup sets. I cannot tell you the exact sonic differences between the two models, but IIRC the LH has more output and it is the more modern sounding of the two (I am waiting for 2 sets of VIllex pickups in couple of weeks, one "Classic" VPJLH and one NVT soapbar set). As far as the NVT line goes, it is in the final stage of fine-tuning (not in terms of the product itself, but in terms of pots; they are adding the center detent feature). You can email Villex and ask them more. I am just a very demanding (and hopefully knowledgable after trying way too many pickups and preamps) customer

www.villex.com