Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vince Gill's Bass Player Willie Weeks, Interested In His HIstory

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mickeyw3340, Mar 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SWMBO and I saw Vince Gill in Atlanta at Earthlink Live Saturday Night. What a show. 3 hours of Vince and his between song brand of comedy and audience patter. I am interested in finding out any more info about his bass player. Willy Weeks is how he was introduced by Vince. He is the same player who played on Vince's current single "The Next Big Thing" at the CMA awards and on the video. I don't know if I am spelling the name correctly. I got one hit on "Willy Weeks" on the web in Google with a photo that could possibly be him but much younger. I was so impressed with his playing. Nothing fancy, very simple country rhythm but tight as a gnat's you-know-what and every note in the right place. The sound he got out of his system was exciting. Every note thumped my heart almost out of my chest. I would like to know his background. Who he has played with, etc. I also got hits on his name on the web associated with George Harrison. Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Willie is da bomb.

Mandatory listening:

Donny Hathaway Live

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Off to "bassists" with youse!

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I second "Donny Hathaway Live"!

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    go to allmusic.com

type his name in and enter it under "artist"

give you an idea of what type of albums he has recorded on.

btw, for you Texas people - vince gill will be taping the Austin City Limits either next month or in May. Go get your tickets!

6. >btw, for you Texas people - vince gill will be >taping the Austin City Limits either next month or i>n May. Go get your tickets!

Even if your not into Nashville music, don't miss Vince's band and Willy. I think I counted seven different guitars that Vince played. I told SWMBO "See I only have one guitar. See how much better I would sound if I could switch around to the one that sounds the best for what I am playing?"

Obviously she didn't buy it. She said "Yeah but you play the bass, and tha black guy only has the one!"

Well I tried.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...'sfunny. I was just re-visiting a Guitar Player w/ a nice article on Weeks(Nov '90, Steve Vai cover; "Blood" Ulmer is also in this issue).

Bear in mind this is from 1990-
    About his "picking technique":
    ...Weeks sez, "I use two fingers. I'm starting to do some thumb stuff & I'm beginning to develope a technique with that".

About reading notation(like many of the great session players):
    ...Weeks sez, "I keep telling myself I'm gonna learn how".

Weeks sez Jamerson & Ray Brown are the bassists that really did it for him...Weeks really liked JJ on "Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing"(Gaye/Terrell) & Brown on Walking In Space(Quincy Jones).

On that classic Hathaway Live record-
    Weeks sez he used a '62 Fender P-bass(bought outta a pawn shop in Cali for $225) & an Ampeg B-15.

Weeks sez he loved flatwounds...it crushed him when he hadda go to roundwounds in '79.

Weeks also played the ultra-Funky line to Bowie's "Fame"...eventually he landed in gigs with The Doobie Brothers(replaced Tiran Porter) & The Larsen-Feiten Band.

Any more questions?
    ;)

8. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Willy's solo on "Everthing is everything" has to be one of the best things I have ever heard.

I am completely jealous of you getting to see him.
    I was supposed to see Vince Gill last month in NYC and I could not make it. Two hours to showtime and I got caught up.....! :spit: It was in a small club too! I will get around to see Willy one of these years.........

9. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    "Third Movement Ya'll"

:cool: AJ

10. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    "The Grrraydest bassplaya in the country!"

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    One of my gigs is with a singer/songwriter....I also co-write with her a little, on her last album it was a double C.D. one she did in Nashville and one here. Two of the songs she did in Nashville where ones I co-wrote......and the bassist was Willie Weeks! One of the hilights of my life:cool:

12. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    Goodness, Jerry, how many times do we have to listen to THAT story again! ;) *jealous guy*

13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Oops!!! I thought I posted that in another group.... sorry:eek: :D :D :D :D

14. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    OK. You're forgiven. :D

Seriously, that is a great story, what a thrill to have mr. Weeks playing oyur tunes. I envy you, man!

15. I agree 1000% with the recommendation of Donny Hathaway Live. And WW solo on "Everything is Everything is (IMO) one of the top 10 greatest solos ever recorded.

16. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    This is off subject, but my mom is best friend's with Vince Gill's sister. I have met Vince numerous times and I've even ate dinner with the guy. He's pretty nice :p

17. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Theres already a preexisting Willy Weeks thread floating around here by yours truly and one by jazzloco. Do a search and you'll find them and the answers you're looking for.

thanks for your cooperation

much love
    mama cass

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.