1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Vintage 1957 Kay K162 Howlin' Wolf Bass with original case

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by d.Fly, Oct 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. d.Fly

d.Fly Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2002
    PACIFIC PALISADES, CA
    Price:
    Strings:
    Selling my 1957 Kay K162 Howlin' Wolf bass. Kay introduced the Model K162 Bass in 1952 in response to Leo Fender’s 1951 Precision Bass, making it the second electric bass produced. This model was made famous by the bass player (Andrew "Blueblood" McMahon) from Howlin' Wolf the band, hence the nickname. More recently, the K162 has been used by Sheryl Crow’s bassist.

All original components. Kluson Waffleback tuners, trapeze tailpiece, blade-type pickup with faux tortoise plastic pickup surrounds and control plate, original knobs and switch.

These are rare basses, and this one plays great and has very little wear. There are a few cosmetic scratches here and there, but nothing to affect the sound. Tone is remarkably warm, round and fat with exceptional clarity. Played softly, the sound resembles an upright. The K162 features a hollow, closed body with a flat top with twin longitudinal tone bars, no sound post, and an arched laminated back. It has the distinctive hollowbody resonance but with feedback resistance. This bass feels fantastic. Comes with the original case, which is in okay condition considering its age. I've come across a few of these over the last year, and this one looks and sounds the best.

Shipping price not included.

IMG_4983.JPG IMG_4984.JPG IMG_4982.JPG IMG_4986.JPG Case1.jpg case 2.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_5899.JPG IMG_5898.JPG IMG_5897.JPG IMG_5896.JPG IMG_5895.JPG IMG_5893.JPG IMG_5892.JPG IMG_5891.JPG IMG_5890.JPG IMG_5889.JPG

2. Spaceman Ian

Spaceman Ian MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Baltimore, Md
    Oh man, that's one of my dream basses. If only I had the funds :/

Good luck with the sale!

Fat Freddy likes this.
  3. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I played bass for Andrew (the Bluebloods) after the Wolf couldn't work any longer; 1974 - 6 or so. I got to play his Kay (and his EB-0 too)! These Kays are great basses - the sound of Chicago Blues... GLWTS!