1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Vintage 1964 (Pre-CBS) Fender Precision Bass - 100% Original & Complete w/ Case

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by The Bass Clef, Nov 25, 2017.

1. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Price:
    $7499
    Strings:
    36513510-63A4-41E2-82B7-2731579A5484.

Vintage 1964 (Pre-CBS) Fender Precision Bass
    100% Original & Complete w/ Chrome Covers, Tugbar & Case!

This bass is very special. It has the classic motown, blues, soul and rock tone everyone wants in a vintage P and it plays absolutely fantastic. As you can see, the original sunburst finish is worn in all the right places from decades of use, and shows lots of finish checking all over, but this bass is as solid as they come, and it’s 100% original down to the last screw. No cracks, no modifications, no extra holes or routing, no issues whatsoever.

The Brazilian rosewood fretboard is dark and beautiful and feels amazing. The neck is straight, and the original frets are in very nice shape for their age - it likely wore flatwounds most (if not all) of its life. It’s currently strung with brand new Thomastik-Infeld flats ($80 strings). The finish on back of the neck is beautifully worn-in, and the wood has darkened in the part of the neck that has seen the most action over the years. It has had a pro set-up after the pics were taken, and the action is very low - it plays buttery smooth all across the board with no dead notes (see pic of looking down the neck like you’re playing it). The bass is also nice and lightweight at 8lbs. 15 oz.!

This bass left the Fender factory in 1964, but it’s early enough to still have a lot of early ‘60s features... original “spaghetti” logo, clay dots, and original black bobbin pickups! Please look at all the pics of the date codes and markings with the bass disassembled...

• Ser #: L29XXX (1964)
    • Neck Stamp: 5 APR 64 C
    • Body Date: 4/64 (handwritten)
    • Pot Codes: 304-6329 (29th week of 1963)
    • Paint stick mark present in neck pocket & proper holes from the nails that the original finish dried on.
    Original “no logo” black tolex case is also in nice shape for its age and structurally sound. One of the latches doesn’t spring up anymore, but it still closes and functions fine.

CLICK ON THE THUMBNAILS BELOW TO ENLARGE

$7499 OBO Shipped (USA)
    Paypal or Bank Wire Accepted.
    *I also take deposits (message me for details).

Sorry, no international shipping on this bass due to CITES ban on rosewood.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    D Bopp, sharpbass, imdkoz and 11 others like this.
  2. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Let me play the lottery this week and let you know if I win. That's amazeballs.

The Bass Clef likes this.
  3. RockinRonnie

RockinRonnie carpe diem Supporting Member

She’s a beauty Brian! That Brazilian Rosewood sends me on magic carpet ride :thumbsup:

4. slagheap

slagheap

Dec 23, 2011
    stunning!

5. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Is it the slab board fretboard?

6. Slab ended in early 1962

Kukulkan61 likes this.
  7. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Like weekend warrior said, the slabs ended in 62. This has a curved laminated board, and it’s definitely Brazilian rosewood. You can tell by the pores in the grain and the dark/greasy looking color.

Kukulkan61 likes this.
  8. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    It’s BRW alright looks Like the board my 61 had...