1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Vintage 1966 Dot & Bound Fender Jazz Bass - All Original w/ OHSC! **HOLIDAY PRICE DROP**

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by The Bass Clef, Nov 10, 2018.

1. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Price:
    $6750
    Strings:
    7BEADE9A-C8E2-437E-83D6-29B92C3318EB.

1966 Fender Jazz Bass - 100% Original & Complete w/ Both Chrome Covers, Tugbar & Case!

Fantastic, ALL ORIGINAL vintage early 1966 Fender Jazz with all the desireable features from this era... dots and binding, original “target burst” 3 tone sunburst finish, and lollipop tuners! This is the easily one of the very best sounding Jazz Basses I’ve ever had (after buying/selling vintage Fenders for 25+ years).

This bass has not been sitting in a closet for decades - It’s been played and loved, so it comes with all the dings, scratches, finish wear and checking that you’d expect from an instrument that has a long history. But it’s still in great shape for being almost 53 years old. And though it’s seen many gigs, it’s been well taken care of. The tip of the pickguard by on the lower horn has broken off (from shrinkage), but I kept the piece and it will be included. The back of the body has an imprint of what was maybe an old sticker on it at one time (see pic), but not very noticeable - I had to purposely get glare in the photo of it for it to even show up. It is not sticky to the touch, by the way. Nothing has been changed on this bass - It’s 100% original down to the last screw! No mods, No repairs, No issues.

The neck is absolutely one of the best feeling Jazz necks you could ever hope for! It’s straight and true, the truss rod works great, and the action is set very nice and low all across the board (see last pic of action). The original (smaller, pre-CBS size) frets do show a good amount of wear, but every single note still rings out loud and clear and there are no dead or buzzy notes anywhere - So it needs no attention or any fretwork as it is to play fantastic and effortlessly. It’s currently strung with Thomastik-Infeld flatwounds.

• Serial #: 137XXX (1966)
    • Neck Stamp: 7 MAR 66 A
    • Pot Codes: 137-6611 (11th week of 1966)
    • Pickups: Original, correct green bobbins with original heavy Formvar windings. The original foam under the pickups has hardened and become very sticky (almost tar like - very typical for ‘60s Fenders). It would just crumble away if I tried to remove it, and more often than not, there are no dates on mid-‘60s pickups anyways. Both pickups are very obviously original and all the solder joints are completely intact.
    • Wiring: Original cloth-insulated wire & 100% original, untouched solder joints throughout the bass.
    • Case: Original and in fine structural condition, but the tolex and leather shows wear from use, and there’s a bit of a musty smell inside. The Fender logo is also partially broken off, but It’s original!
    • Weight: 8 lbs. 10 oz.
    $6995
    **HOLIDAY PRICE DROP**
    NOW... $6750 Shipped (USA)
    Paypal accepted.

*Click on the thumbnails below to enlarge*

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  2. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Oh my goosenutsdrooldrooldrool

The Bass Clef likes this.
  3. slagheap

slagheap Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2011
    i don't get too excited over many vintage fender offerings, but this one grabs me by the nads. that is a killer-diller axe.

4. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    I am drooling on myself....

5. basspro

basspro Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Las Vegas,NV
    Good stuff bump. And thanks again for the Oly Jazz.

6. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Cool, thanks! Enjoy that bass!!!

7. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    The 1966 Jazz necks are special. Great looking bass

8. How is this still here?...these are 8-10k on Reverb

9. slagheap

slagheap Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2011
    Geez. If I bought this axe and the '66 P listed above it, I'd be set for life.

10. liverbird

liverbird

Mar 22, 2003
    Is this one of the old celluloid guards? Looks like they were still being used up by 1966, I have one on mine as well... (Including the broken-off tip!)

11. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Yes, it’s definitley the older pre-CBS celluoid type of guard (which look a million times better than the next generation of tort in mid/late ‘66)!

liverbird likes this.
  12. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    wow just drooled on my mouse. absolutely awesome glwts!