1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Vintage 1970 Fender Jazz Bass !!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by RockFistMusic, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockFistMusic

RockFistMusic

Apr 25, 2008
    JAX FL
    VINTAGE 1970 Fender Jazz Bass

Serial No. 2878XX in it's original Fender 1970 HSC

- Correct / vintage stamped everything, pickups; pots; jack; hardware
    - Neck is stamped "X. Armenta" which apparently was Mr. Xavier Armenta, a finisher/inspector @ Fender late 60's to early 70's
    - Butt of neck is stamped 'OCT 70'
    - Neck pocket has VERY faint circle stamp and letters partially covered in paint which I do not want to disturb
    - OHSC , that's correct -the original 1970 Fender hard shell case (old and musty!)
    - Worn 'Fiesta Red' with antique white under-layer
    - Desirable rosewood fret~board with Ivory Binding & Mother-of-Pearl block inlays !!!
    - Hardware production stamped pots, 032367
    - Professionally set up and ready to play FLAWLESSLY
    - Low action, no buzz, perfectly straight neck , excellent frets, nut, and board !!

THIS IS THE REAL DEAL not a put together bass. It is 100% amazing as a player and can also be a collectible as well!

What I know is NOT original;
    - Badass bridge
    - White pickguard (correct type) custom/handpainted by an artist with 'Angel's Wings'

BOTH very easily swapped out if you desire a museum piece

THE DEAL - $3,000 ; shipped and insured - 48 CONUS
    will ship international via USPS Priority Int'l (extra) with wire or certified funds only

not really looking for trades, but will consider the right one however it needs to be based on $3,500 trade value and me getting ~$2000 back.

Attached Files:

2. RockFistMusic

RockFistMusic

Apr 25, 2008
    JAX FL
    more pics.....dropbox link coming

Attached Files:

3. RockFistMusic

RockFistMusic

Apr 25, 2008
    JAX FL
    More pics

Attached Files:

4. RockFistMusic

RockFistMusic

Apr 25, 2008
    JAX FL
    [DEL]ON HOLD~!!![/DEL]

5. RockFistMusic

RockFistMusic

Apr 25, 2008
    JAX FL
    International buyer (Japan) now missing in action :confused: yet another shooter is in, solid trade deal lined up if straight cash sale does not happen by tomorrow!

6. RockFistMusic

RockFistMusic

Apr 25, 2008
    JAX FL
    last hoooorah for straight sale.....loads of action and inquiries but no $$ as of yet anyway

7. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    It's a refin? I'm pretty darn sure Fender wasn't still doing fiesta red finishes by this point in time...

8. fenderdefender

fenderdefender

Jun 3, 2011
    Not necessarily. If you are interested in Fender custom finishes here is a good article.
    http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fenderc.html

The bass is very, very nice!

9. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    So, you're not willing to make a claim on the originality of the finish? Just "not necessarily" a refin? Read your own link again to see when fiesta red was offered. The finish on that body sure doesn't look authentic at all. Just sayin'...it'd be darn rare and a steal at your asking price if it was real, but I doubt that it is...seeing it in-hand would bring that all home.

10. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    1967 pots?? Tone cap dosen't look original. Do you have more pics of the bass, especially the neck pocket and control cavity?

11. RockFistMusic

RockFistMusic

Apr 25, 2008
    JAX FL
    First off it's my thread not fenderfender. Secondly I've owned and played numerous jazz from 60's, 70's thru current so I know the basses fairly well and with familiarity.

Yes it would be a steal and I think it's a steal at what I'm asking regardless. 1967 pots are super common for 67-70 finished basses, it's not a 1967 with a 1970 pot now is it :/

Pundits be gone, I'm seeking interested buyers not critics and tire kickers :)

thanks

12. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    I've owned numerous 60's and 70's myself. 40 years worth. Most Fenders from 1966 to 1969 have 1966 dated CTS pots. CBS/Fender bought a large stock of pots in 1966 that lasted till 1969.
    Yours is 1967?? If they ran out of 1966 pots in '69 yours should be 1970's. Not saying it's not possible, but given that the tone cap looks wrong it is questionable. Also the finish is questionabable. Better pics showing the neck pocket and control cavity would help. If it's original it is indeed a rare piece and I would be interested.

13. sonicblue62

sonicblue62 Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    sent you a PM

14. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Popcorn ... Nom Nom Nom.

15. RockFistMusic

RockFistMusic

Apr 25, 2008
    JAX FL
    Lots of interest pulling it down for now

Some skewed info being posted so I might also get hard proof on some things then put it back up for more $$$ :)

16. RockFistMusic

RockFistMusic

Apr 25, 2008
    JAX FL
    Here is a great reason why I pulled the thread down, 3 hot buyers with offers, and then on here, the proliferation of bad info. Here is some interesting FACT regarding vintage Fender items, including the fact that 032367 is NOT a production date but a part #.

http://zeus.lunarpages.com/~jimshi2/potcodes/potcodes.htm

This bass has the correct / original 032367 pots , and with code "304" they were manufactured by Stackpole. If you look on eBay these (vintage) Stackpole pots can sell for hundreds each in some cases.

I have this bass on HOLD for a special cash buyer - if it does not pan out I will include substantiation of this item and it's vintage authenticity, and might re-list at a considerably higher price at that time~!

Thanks to all :bassist:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.