1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage 1977 Fender Jazz Bass - $500 (Dallas)

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by jlepre, Aug 16, 2012.

1. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    frets pulled...

2. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish Supporting Member

Rosewood fret jobs are $175 tops, I'd buy this in a second.

3. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    Wow

I emailed the guy.

Let's see what happens. Worth a three hour drive to Dallas to pick it up.

4. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Keep us posted.

5. morrisonhendrix

morrisonhendrix When the music's over, turn out the lights... Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    I emailed him too and haven't heard back.

6. cjlembo

cjlembo Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Dallas
    Hi...I live in the Dallas area and I ended up buying this bass from the guy. His name was Matt and he had received the bass from his uncle while he was in high school. He considered it "damaged" since the frets were pulled. I told him it was definitely not damaged and even after playing it I tried to tell him that he should keep it but he really wanted to get rid of it and so I bought it. The neck needs some adjusting and I don't really know how but I am going to have frets installed and have it adjusted and keep it. Just wanted to let you guys know how this one ended.

7. Epidrake

Epidrake

May 24, 2011
    Congrats. It looks like a beauty!!!! Glad one of us got it. ?

8. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Sweet. Congrats on a nice deal.

9. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish Supporting Member

First, they will adjust it if you're getting a fret job so no worries there. Second, check with the major guitar stores in your area and find out who does their fretwork. If you find one guy who does multiple store he's your best bet, but in all honesty anyone who does it for a living will be more than adequate. Last, call at least a few people and ask the cost for a rosewood board 4 string bass fret. You should be able to find someone who does many refrets every month and get them to $150-$175, if you contact them directly and don't go through a store...unless it is their store.

You're looking at $50+ if you want the binding reapplied over the fret ends (a lot more than $50 if they are very particular), don't do it unless you are really trying to get it restored with the proper vintage fret gauge and everything.

You should be able to get it back in a week if there's nothing wrong with the neck and board. Hopefully they won't need to do much if any planing on the board. This is also assuming there isn't any epoxy on the board which opens up more avenues.

Keep us posted, I want to know what becomes of it.

10. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    I saw this deal too and figured it would be a scam. Obviously I figured wrong. Nice find.

In the Dallas area you take it to Kenny at Texas Guitar Workshop. He does good work.