1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Vintage 1977 Greco 500/1 Hofner copy

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by emblymouse, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Another one from the crypt...

This was shipped directly from Japan, a non export Greco premium model. I've yet to see another one like it. Many earlier Greco cheapies on eBay, not, repeat, NOT the same. Look close-

Pearl headstock and dot inlays
    double bound body
    nice black rosewood fingerboard with binding (check the set neck joint where it meets the top).
    The grain on the spruce top is so close and straight you can hardly see it.
    Very nice flame back. No veneer here. The 30+ yr. old laquer is nicely yellowed. VERY CLEAN! :hyper: Minimal playwear, frets are 98%. No buckle rash, very faint surface scratching on the back in a small area. A few nicks here and there, the top of the headstock has it the worst. The tailpiece is very tarnished and pitted however, my guess is from salt air. I suspect this bass lived most of it's life in it's case near the sea. Hey, it's an island after all. Screw holes from the missing pickguard-screws and felts included. Overall a solid 8/10.

Ships in it's original form fit HSC with a fab Hofner-style faux crocodile leather strap. Brand new Labella Beatle bass flats. The little humbuckers are HOT! Sounds like it should.
    This is head and shoulders above the flood of Hofner reissues out there now for about the same price. Will your Contemporary go up in value anytime soon?

$600 OBO.

beatlebasses014.
    IMG_3180-1.
    beatlebasses015.
    beatlebasses017.
    beatlebasses019.
    beatlebasses021.
    beatlebasses020.

2. OK- let me know when you dig out a nice Greco T-Bird. :ninja:

3. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Beatlebump

4. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    yeah yeah yeah

5. Double the Beef

Double the Beef

Apr 7, 2009
    Wow I have one of these sitting next to me (68 model I think) and I didnt think it was worth ANYTHING. It needs some work but wow, I guess I got a piece on my hands!

6. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    At the risk of being a snob ass, I've got to put some distance between this bass all these 60's knockoffs, even the Grecos. Please do not confuse this bass with the run of the mill Beatlemania souveniers. This was intended for the Japanese market, non export. Everybody and his uncle made a cheap beatle bass in the 60's to cash in on Paul. That ended with the Beatles. Who was making these in 1977? Hofner and..... um...Greco.

Nobody was buying them. Hofner had no choice. The Japanese makers were finally good enough to match the big guys, be they Gibson, Fender, or Hofner in this case. They did it cause they could. A labor of love. I play a 77 Aria Jazz Bass copy which is the equal to any Fender I've laid hands on. It took them till the mid 70's to get that good.

Sorry for the rant, I know they can all look the same and I just want to stress the difference in this one. I wish you could play it.:)

7. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    I know a fellow bass player whom has one just like this but not in this great of shape and it is top notch quality! Free Beatle bump for you!

8. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    I was asked for a close shot of the tailpiece. There is no chrome left on this and it is pitted. It is like it was corroded. The surrounding area is fine, and all the other hardware is in real good shape. My best guess is this piece reacted to salt air for some reason.
    These are available from North Coast Music if you felt the need to replace it.

beatlebasses022-1.

9. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    True 'Violin' burst bump.

IMG_3179.

10. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Hey now, get yer Paul on..:bassist:

11. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    All you need is LUV (and this bass)

12. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    For No One?

13. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Please please me. Make me an offer.

14. zbigniew

zbigniew

Nov 14, 2002
    Northern Iceland
    Great looking bass !

15. aleighn

aleighn

Mar 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    PM Sent

16. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    OBO

17. Flabass

Flabass

Aug 11, 2008
    St. Petersburg
    Beautiful bass. My first was jus like this one. But a little darker BUT premium quality with binding, inlays, etc. Wish I still had it but I "had to have a Fender Jazz."

18. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Hello Nashville!!:bassist:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.