1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Vintage 1977 Rickenbacker 3001 FRETLESS, RARE FIND!!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by aleighn, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aleighn

aleighn

Mar 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    PRICE DROP - $2000 for bass and OHSC - $2250 includes 2nd NOS pickup

I hate to even sell her, but I just found out that I am losing my job and I have to raise some money quickly...

Here’s what I got:

Excellent Condition 1977 Rickenbacker 3001 FRETLESS in Walnutglo. (only a few dings in the finish and minor fretboard marks keep it from being mint)

All original parts, even the original case (which is in great condition!)

This is a full-scale fretless, bolt-on neck, ultra-rare as it is not modified to be fretless, but original.

I am guessing that it was part of a custom order. You’ll see in the photos that there is a piece of tape attached to the back of the truss-rod cover that reads "#1 musician work, Joel Hellin”. I’ve asked around and cannot get a clear explanation of the meaning behind this. I have not yet contacted Rickenbacker about it yet though.

There is NO buckle rash or other major wear. Other than some minor cosmetic items, she is in mint condition.

I am also including an extra, ORIGINAL NOS (new old stock) Rickenbacker pickup (same style as the one she’s got now) —*I stumbled upon the pickup on e-bay and snatched it up “just in case”.

I thought I might swap it out for the current one (nothing wrong with the current one, I was just curious how it might sound)... if not that, then I had toyed with the idea of installing a 2nd pickup in her... but never worked up the nerve. Maybe you’ve got it? :)

For full disclosure, here are the items that keep her from being MINT:
    • small nicks and dings in the body, mostly on the bottom edge and horns (all are pictured in the photos)
    • small amount of string marking on the fretboard
    • teeny tiny crack in the pickguard, near one of the screws, pictured
    • there are some tiny divots left along the top of the neck —*where the original owner had some sort of tiny “inlaid” fret markers installed (it looks all professionally done, and they were in the right places, but whatever was inlaid has come loose since and left behind a few little notches. These are not deep at all, and do not affect playability. They could easily be filled and touched up.

I’ve been researching her value of late. And while I have seen a lot of fretted 3001’s, I’ve not been able to find much in terms of the 3001 FRETLESS basses. The only other one I’ve seen belongs to another member of talkbass. (There’s a recent thread about it which is readily findable by doing a general search.)

That said, the higher priced fretted 3001’s from this year can run between $800 -*$2200. The higher priced ones are more costly due to their rare color. This one, while it is the traditional walnutglo, has to be worth a bit more than a rare finish.

And if you have further evidence of a more accurate/fair price for a 3001 fretless, please point me in the right direction. I know that it is rare and valuable, and I am just trying to get a fair price for it — as it will be the only income I have for awhile.

77 Ric 3001 Bass, Rickenbacker OHSC, plus an extra NOS original Rickenbacker bass pickup — $2500 shipped PRICE DROP $2250 with extra pickup... $2000 without

PHOTOS HERE

P.S. Please check out my profile on ebay if you have any concerns about purchasing from me. My user name is “aleighn-half”. I have 100% feedback with specific notes regarding my accurate descriptions, fair prices and quick/secure shipping. Thanks for looking!!

Attached Files:

2. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    bump for a good looking rare bass.

3. aleighn

aleighn

Mar 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks! I'll try to record a video/audio sample tomorrow and post that as well. There's been some debate back and forth on their sound which I can easily clarify (though not WELL, as I still haven't quite gotten the hand of fretless... I'll do my best!)

4. Jon_West

Jon_West

Jan 8, 2009
    GTA, Ontario
    What a beautiful bass, man.
    Congrats to whoever ends up getting it.

5. aleighn

aleighn

Mar 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Here are the sound samples I recorded tonight of my Ric 3001 Fretless bass which is currently for sale.

The 1st is simply a scale, but done in a variety of tone settings so you can get a feel for the sounds she can make. To clarify what you are hearing, There are four sets of three scales:

• Set 1 is with the treble turned all the way down and the bass alternating from all the way down, half-way, all the way up.
    • Set 2 is with the treble turned a third of the way up, and the bass again, alternating from down, half and up.
    • Set 3 is with the treble set at two thirds, and the same 3 bass variations.
    • Set 4 is (you guessed it!) treble up all the way and the same 3 bass variations once again.
    • Even still, there are many other sounds, depending on the dial settings... the way the bass and treble mix and work with each other is interesting, and she has many “sweet spots” with distinctive sounds.

The 2nd sound sample is a simple selection of riffs, two finger-style and one with pick... again, I am still learning so please be kind.

Let me know if you have questions, need more photos, etc. Thanks!

Ric 3001 Fretless Sound Sample 1 - Tone Example

Ric 3001 Fretless Sound Sample 2 - Riff Example

6. thumpybumper

thumpybumper

Dec 5, 2008
    sounds great, very beefy!

7. aleighn

aleighn

Mar 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks! Yes she's a bit of a "fat bottomed girl" isn't she? ;)

8. aleighn

aleighn

Mar 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    These two are for the other members of the Post-Punk/New Wave Bassists Club!

Chelsea Girl Riff
    files.me.com/aleighn/nzlx18

Premonition Riff (rewind it, for some reason it starts in the middle for me... but the beginning is there)
    files.me.com/aleighn/7r4vtv

You guys are killing me here... what ELSE does a girl have to do to get noticed?? ;)

9. thumpybumper

thumpybumper

Dec 5, 2008
    like the tone in the premonition riff better. free bump for a killer bass.

10. aleighn

aleighn

Mar 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks... And just to clarify, it IS right-handed, I just forgot to flip the video. Why does Apple's Photobooth always reverse images/video anyway? I never really got that...

11. aleighn

aleighn

Mar 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Bump for the day...

12. aleighn

aleighn

Mar 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I wanted to say that I am willing to sell the spare NOS (new old stock) Rickenbacker 3001 pickup separately for $250.

Or

If you don't want the extra pickup, you can get the bass and the original hard shell case ONLY for $2250 +shipping (local pickup is okay too)

P.S. This may sound wacky, but I would also be open to one, very specific, non-bass related trade: I need a decent, reliable and well-maintained used car. I can tell you that I will be picky though... not just any clunker will do. If you live near Indianapolis and have an offer, PM me please. Thanks!

13. aleighn

aleighn

Mar 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    bumpity bump!

14. aleighn

aleighn

Mar 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Price drop... $2000 shipped for bass and OHSC. $2250 if you want the extra pickup.

Thanks!

15. aleighn

aleighn

Mar 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Still available... a great rarity for a steal at $2,000 ($2250 if you want the extra pickup)

16. aleighn

aleighn

Mar 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    SOLD locally - $3000

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.