SOLD Vintage 1982 Guild X-702

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by cptripps, Oct 6, 2017.

1. cptripps

cptripps

Nov 29, 2009
    Coventry RI
    Price:
    Strings:
    This is a 1982 Guild X-702 bass.

I won't go into all of the details as I'm sure they are readily available. This model had two versions: This one with two pickups and the x-701 with a single pickup.

Onto it: It plays amazing and is hands-down the most balanced bass I've ever owned and played. When I purchased it 17 years ago I got it from a guy in a Bluegrass band in upstate New York. It arrived with the body clad in a fitted and stitched red leather sheath. The headstock was edged in black frilly "panty" fringe, the neck joint had a split in it and it was a mess.

I repaired the neck and headstock with dowels and glue, and it has held for 17 years. I took it into Noll Guitars in RI for a setup and they went through and replaced all of the pots and the jack. They praised the repair and also countersunk the truss rod nut and I've never touched it since. The neck hasn't ever drifted and the only adjustments I've ever made were at the bridge.

After a hasty paint job (out of necessity) I started using the bass and after the work at Noll, I asked about bringing it back to it's original Guild Teal color. They loved it as-is and said it brought some character to the axe so I never bothered with the paint.

This is a workhorse bass and has sustain for days. The tonal range is phenomenal whether you are going for finger funk, TOOL or muted 60's/70's style.

I won't bother trying to brag up the tone but believe me, it is nothing short of tremendous!

It's very adjustable to any playing preference and the frets are in great condition and have been leveled.

I've been suffering hearing loss and am selling off all of my gear. My thought after a few years is that it's better off entertaining people than remaining silent and dormant.

It ships in a Gibson Gig Bag (the only one that I could find to fit it) and will be extremely well packed.

Please feel free to ask questions, I'll do my best to answer all of them.

Attached Files:

moonshinegtrs and StrangerDanger like this.
  2. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Inactive Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    Bump for one of my "Holy Grail" basses.

Somebody buy this before I figure out a way to.

Moonshine :bassist:

cptripps likes this.
  3. rvt1000

rvt1000

Dec 13, 2012
    Hi I'm in ma. I'm interested in this bass, not on here much can u please email me for my cel#? [email protected], thanks we can setup a time to meet.

4. cptripps

cptripps

Nov 29, 2009
    Coventry RI
    Pm sent and left you voicemail too!

5. cptripps

cptripps

Nov 29, 2009
    Coventry RI
    Still available guys!

6. that bass doesn't need a serial number - that body shape is 1982

i've never played this model but it's similar to the B-301/302 basses and i love those - really nice pickups and bridges on those basses, and i see those key features are the same.

sweet bass!

cptripps likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021