Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vintage 2x15 Fender cab baffle board question.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Telepunk, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Telepunk

Telepunk

Jul 14, 2002
    Cleveland, OH
    I got an old cab for $50, a vintage Fender Bassman with 2x15's.....

Ths speakers were generic replacements (non fender) and they were blown anyways......
    The problem is the dumbass who had it for me, put in 2 10"'s speakers (pioneer speakers from a car!) they were
    blown also......

So there is 2 holes for 2 10"'s, but I don't want that, I only want 2 15" speakers.......

I am really bad with sawing and measuring and technical stuff, so I was wondering if I can use some plywood to cover up these 2 10" speaker holes......

Not sure if it would affect the sound, it would be covering these holes up, do you think it might rattle? I am thinking of doing this first, and if not have to bite it and get or make a new baffle board

Any ideas?
    thanks!

2. So what you're saying is the guy added (2) 10" holes, and the (2) 15" holes are still there? If that's the case, you can just use plywood scraps on the inside of the box to cover up the 10" holes you don't want.

I got an Ampeg 2-15" cab that someone had added a couple of ports to, and I used some scraps of 1/2" plywood glued to the inside of the cabinet to cover the unwanted holes. Just use plenty of wood glue and you won't get any rattles. Look for some stuff called "Liquid Nails". It should be great for it.

That's the cheap and easy way to do it.

Oh, and make sure your plywood hole covers don't get in the way of where the 15" speakers frames will be. It would suck to find that out after the glue was dry!

Chris