SOLD Vintage 4x10" cab, CTS Ampeg SVT drivers 1973

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by mellowgerman, Nov 13, 2020.

1. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Price:
    United States
    Up for sale is a vintage 4x10" speaker cab, loaded with 4 CTS drivers from an original Ampeg SVT 8x10" bass cab. These speakers are reltaively sought-after as a lot of folks want original replacement speakers for their vintage Ampeg cabs. From what I've found, they typically sell in the neighborhood of $100 a piece. Stamps read: 5810144 6910001 137 7310 32 ohm. I believe they date to 1973 (please chime in if that is incorrect). They are 32ohms each but currently this cab is wired for a total 8ohm load.

Not sure what the story is behind the cabinet itself, but it's a sealed design, sturdy build, and has substantial weight to it. There are no identifying marks on it, but the grill cloth is identical to what was on the all-original 1966 Ampeg SB-12 I used to own.

I'm no longer considering taking the risk of shipping this cab or the speakers, so I'm happy to let this cab go locally for $260 cash in the Orlando/Daytona area. The price is for the speakers, the cab is free.
    Happy to hear out trade offers for basses, guitars, amps, etc. Thanks!

20201111_173500.jpg 20201111_173854.jpg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  2. Soundworks

Soundworks Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

May 12, 2012
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    awesome seller! wish i was closer!

mellowgerman likes this.
  3. brichards

brichards

Dec 2, 2007
    would you ship to canada ?

4. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Sorry to say, at this time I am sticking to continental US only. This was always my policy until recently, when I sent my first international package in years to try and help someone out with a rare part. It was lost and I am now out $100. Not sure if this had to do with COVID messing up the shipping industry, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  5. brichards

brichards

Dec 2, 2007
    I would pay you first with paypal. now worries.
    I would really like the cab

6. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I do appreciate that, but for now I think I will hold out a little bit to see if I get any local takers. The cab is pretty heavy, so all boxed up, it would make an awkward package, which always ups the chances of shipping damage. If I do decide to open it up to shipping though, I'll let you know. Thanks for your interest

7. brichards

brichards

Dec 2, 2007
    Thanks alot. keep my fingers crossed

8. brichards

brichards

Dec 2, 2007
    still waiting if you change your mind on shipping to Canada

9. ampking300

ampking300

Dec 11, 2014
    Coram,N.Y.
    Looks like a early 1970's Sunn 410 guitar cab that was converted to a bass cab using SVT speakers, original one was, I believe, 24"x24" x11" and had a semi open back with each upper and lower panel being 6" high. from the one photo looks just like grill cloth that was used by Sunn from very late 1969 to late 1975, is very similar to Fender silverface style grill cloth of same era.I might be interested in this if it is a Sunn cab and you decide to ship. Best bet is to ship speakers separate and same with cab. A close up shot of the grill cloth will tell if it is a Sunn cab, grill is silver/black rectangle style.Let me know, thanks, Ray.

mellowgerman likes this.
  10. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    EDIT: No longer considering shipping on this cab or the speakers. Local sale only.

Thanks for the tip! I'll take some measurements when I get home later. The cab is sealed, but the back seems to be made of plywood (not as burly as the rest of the cab), painted black. That panel looks homemade, though it was pretty well done. The only real issue with it is that for bass, it probably should have an extra brace or two added. For guitar it would be totally fine.
    At this time, I'm still resistant to ship the entire cab. Finding the right box and packing material would be a challenge and not cheap. It would also be a super awkward package, large and heavy, which is just asking for trouble, even if well padded.
    I am open to shipping the set of 4 speakers, but the price would be the same. I'm considering the cab a freebie/bonus for a local deal.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  11. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    It looks like it may be a Sunn cab after all, although my measurements were 24"x24"x11.5". For what it's worth, a friend of mine had suggested it could be a Sunn cab when I first got it.

12. mikopita

mikopita Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Central Florida
    Just pm'd you.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022