1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage 62 Precision vs 2008 American Standard Precision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Leroy La Qua, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Leroy La Qua

Leroy La Qua

Nov 6, 2005
    I am looking at purchasing a new Precision and am tossing up between getting a Vintage 62 Precision or an 2008 American Standard Precision. Am curious to hear peoples opinions re these basses and what your preference would be?

2. talking about a reissue? or an actual 62

3. I think he means the reissue

4. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    The '08 should wake up nicely and sing like a vintage axe...

... after about 5000 gigs! :D

Just kidding - I've tried some real vintage pieces that didn't sound or play that great. But when they do, there's nothing like it. I'd need to play both before making up my mind. (And if I was to go with the '62, sell both my motorcycles. :bawl:)

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    You can't judge until you play. I'd guess the "vintage" will feel quite a bit different - and it goes without saying that it will look different. But I'm not a big fan of looks - I want to feel and hear it, ya know?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would take the AmStd over the 62 reissue now. A year ago I wouldn't, but I would now. They are fabulous. I also like the flatter FB better. Allows for higher string bending.

7. Leroy La Qua

Leroy La Qua

Nov 6, 2005
    Just to clarify I am talking about the 62 reissue.

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Both are great.
    I prefer the slightly bigger, 62 reissue neck.

9. Tony Gray

Tony Gray

Mar 6, 2006
    don't know if this will help or not, but I was in the market for a jazz. I played the Am. Std and the 62 AVRI back to back. Same amp, same settings, used an A/B switch so I could play one, then immediately play the next. There was a big tonal difference.

When the time came to get a P, I just ordered the 62 AVRI. Wasn't disappointed.

10. Leroy La Qua

Leroy La Qua

Nov 6, 2005
    Was the American Standard you tried out the new 2008 one?

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1.

The 2008 STDs are nice but I don't get all of the hype. They are maybe a bit better quality than what was being made a year or 2 ago, but nothing major. Just my $0.02.

I own a 1997 '62RI and it is one of the best gigging basses I have ever played. Even blows away my 100% original 1974 P. Great tone.

12. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Well, 1974 was *not* CBS/Fender's best year. Not by a long-shot!

But I have heard very good things about some of the reissue basses. The way I figure it, these types of basses are ALL mass-produced items, and some are better than others. One of the nicest basses I ever had was - and get this - a late '80's Charvel! Yes, if that name makes you twitch, it should... And IO payed $120 for it NEW! The bass was a factory second, so the neck had to be refinished - so it was thinner. It played GREAT, but was BUTT UGLY. I wish I hung onto it - with better P'ups, it would been a fine club-band bass...

But my point is mass production is funny that way. Some suck, some rock. You have to play your choices side by side and then... well, decide.

13. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Perhaps '97 was a good year for basses over at Fender, mine just kills, blows away any reissue or the '08,s I,ve tried. I,ll take it over all but a handful of vintage pre-CBS basses I,ve played over the years. If I liquidated my collection tomorrow, I,m pretty sure thats the one I,d keep.

14. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    I can speak for 62RI P, which I have (1998 made). I did not play the 2008 P.

With the 62RI you will get wider, but front-to back flatter neck, which some prefer, depends on a personal preference.
    Also you get the 62RI pickup, which is THE pickup for a vintage P IMO. Back of the neck is lacquered as opposed to a satin finish of a Standard P.

On a more speculative note, the 62RI is a part of American Vintage series which (just a guess) gets more attention in manufacture than a standard MIA P.

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 This has been my expirience as well.

16. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I haven't read all of this thread yet, but I am confused, Jimmy.

The '62 RI I played last Spring in San Jose, back to back with an '08 new American Standard, had a much wider FB at the nut. To put it in terms I am sure you know, the '62 felt very much like an early/mid 60's C neck.

Did the nASP you played really have an FB that was wider at the nut that the '62 RI? I be Corn-Fused....:p :p :p

17. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I think he's refering to fingerboard radius, not with at the nut.

The new A.S. has a flatter fingerboard radius of 9 1/2" vs. the rounder 7 1/4" radius of the R.I.

My feelings are similar. I would have taken a R.I. over the old American Series too a year ago. Now that the build quality of the A.S. is on par with the R.I. it's more of a toss up. Personaly, I can go either way with the fret board radius, and nut width. I'm just as comfortable with the R.I.(or the real deal) as I am with the modern style neck. Seems as though Jimmy has a preferance for the flatter board.
    That's how I read the post anyway. :)

18. mr.hughes

mr.hughes

Sep 12, 2005
    Ireland
    I tried out a 62 RI and a new American Standard in Guitar in mid July. The 62 was about $400 more expensive. Yes it felt, sounded and played better than the American Standard but not enough for me to justify the extra cash. The 62 felt more played in, I guess more 'vintage', like it was actually an old instrument.

Best advice is to try them side by side then make your judgment there. If you're basing your decision on value then I'd go for the American Standard.

19. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I just got my 62 RI last week. It's early 90's CIJ. I love the neck tint and thickness (and I go back and forth between my Geddy Lee sig - talk about difference of feel) How could you pass up that?

logo.

rug.

BTW, sorry I've been whoring these pics all over TB, but I'm just excited about it :p

20. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    Save yourself 700-800 and get a squier VM or CV P.