1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage '66 Guild Starfire!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lokire, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Anyone see this thing on ebay? Because I saw it, and it and instantly fell in love. Won the auction 10 minutes ago. I'll probably have to sell a couple (non-music related) items to put the money back, but it's well worth it. I wasn't expecting it to end under 1k :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260063999682

7710_1. 81d6_1.

7ea1_1. 7438_1.

Ooooh, I'm so excited :hyper:

2. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    Cool! Put some Dark Stars in it, have Rick Turner or Alembic make you a pre and you will have Jack Casady's bass, well sort of :)

3. Yeah, I dunno. Aside from the jack plate and the stripped finish, it's all original. I don't think I would want to mess with the pickups or anything like that. Dark Stars would be cool though :bassist:

4. Awesome! I did see that auction, and I'm glad a TBer got it.
    If I were you I'd string that beast with Fender nickel-wound flats and put my modern-type amps in the closet for a while...I had your new bass' younger brother for a number of years and sold it in a fit of raging stupidity.:rollno: They're incredible instruments.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    What's wrong with that pickup? Isn't that what Darkstars are modeled on anyways?

6. It's from 1966, one of the original Starfires, so I think that would be the pickup that DarkStars are modeled after.

As far as strings, my first thought was TI Jazz Flats. But we'll see...

7. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    Yeah it does look like the Hagstrom pickup which the Darkstar is patterned after. My Starfire I had many years ago had the Guild pup which did not sound very good IMHO. If it's the Hag I would leave it.

8. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Played one once, fell in love. Should've bought it for the $600 they wanted, especially since the same bass was going for nearly $1,000 next time I saw it. :meh:

9. How loud are they acoustically? Pretty good for quiet practice?

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    that's it.... I officially hate you :spit:

(dibs if you sell it!)

11. By yourself, with roundwounds, yes. With a pick alongside an acoustic guitar, boxy-sounding but audible though barely.

12. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    If it's the original from a '66, it's a Hagstrom Bisonic, after which the Dark Stars were patterned. No need to change anything (like on the mid-70's Starfires after Guild stupidly dropped the Bisonics in favor of a rather nondescript design of ho-humbuckers). Congratulations. You've got a cool bass there. I wouldn't change a thing, save perhaps considering a vintage refin (probably not, at that).

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    + about a million or so.
    Not much hits me in the "ooooo, I wish I had one of those" place anymore, but that does. Very nicely "mojo-fied," and I wouldn't change that pup for a prince's fortune.
    Excellent score, and put up some bigger pics wehn you get it.
    I'll be expecting a sonic report card as well...
    I put a DS2 in that position (right up against the neck) on my '72 Tele, and it's tone to die for...
    what's scale length?
    If it's 34, I really am envious...ppppfffftttt!

14. I'm not sure what the scale length is. Pics and soundclips once I get it though, for sure :smug:

Early tracking info says Friday will be the day. :hyper:

15. The scale is 30.75".

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Whew, I don't have to hate you now: short scale ain't my bag.
    back to just lovin' you;)

17. :p

18. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Looking good. I love hollowbodies. Especially short scales. They are HUGE sounding. I'm sure it would sound great with flats. TIs or Pyramid flats. Whew.

19. LiamCohl

LiamCohl

Jan 29, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    Awesome! That thing has one of the original hagstrom singlecoils in it that the darkstars are designed to sound like, I have a '69 Starfire II with two of those in it, they are really great pickups already. I was considering rewiring it to seperate outputs for each pickup and getting an alembic superfilter unit, I think it would do a suitable job of fulfilling my Phil obsession. I love the look of the finish on that bass, great find

20. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    IMHO do not refinish this bass! If you must I will buy it from you.:)