Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by americanmade, May 21, 2005.

1. americanmade

Feb 12, 2005
    While in Sam Ash today, I stumbled onto an Acoustic halfstack. The head was solid state "Model 450" and the cab was a "402" I believe (it was a 4 x 12). The salesman told me that the head was voiced for guitar or bass, but didn't really know anything else about it. He said he thought the guy who traded it in said it was from the early 80's or late 70's. I realize I should have made note of the serial numbers, but it's too late for that now. I played around on it for about an hour and it was LOUD (I've been going to rock/punk shows for years and have heard loud). Long story short, I liked the way it sounded and the guy said he could give me the rig for $550 with a one year maintenence plan. The amp/cab was in great shape, but I had never heard of this stuff so I wanted to see if anyone on here had any experience with this stuff. I am trying to assemble a gig worthy rig on a budget and the "new "setup I cold get would be an Ashdown Mag300 and either the matched cab or an avatar. There are no stores around me that carry a lot of used gear, so my options are limited. I worry that an amp this old will only cause problems so I would like some insight. Thanks for any advice you could offer.
  2. If the Acoustic rig is in the shape as you described take it.
    It blows the MAG300 away.
  3. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Acoustic gear is fantastic from what I have heard. Really underrated gear in modern times. They were really highly regarded in the 70s and early 80s. I'd definately go for it.

Ray Salamon I think has an Acoustic head on top of a Sunn 215B that he said was a great rig.
  4. I love my Acoustic 106, its a great sounding cab, I'm sure the 4x12 would sound great too.
  5. jaco used acoustic.

hubba hubba. :)
    no long time experience with acoustic gear, however what I did play, i really enjoyed. plenty loud and nice tone! :)
  6. americanmade

Feb 12, 2005
    Alright, so it seems like the consensus is that this is a pretty nice rig. Does anybody think the price should be significantly less? I have read some reviews about the stuff now and people are saying they got this stuff for $150-$200 a piece. The reviews may be old, so I was just wondering what I should plan on paying for this. Thanks.
  7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    With a maintenence, i'd pay the $550. Nothing worse than getting a nice vintage amp and it blows up once you get it home. :bawl:
  8. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    I think $550.00 is a bit high, even though they are including a 12 month maintenance agreement.

These were well made solid state amps and cabinets. If the amp is in as good of condition as mentioned, i'd tell them to forget the maintenance and give you a better price on the rig.
    The amp will probably never need any maintenance providing you take care of it physically.

If you do go for it, make sure that you get in writing exactly what the maintenance covers, like all parts and all labour including time and materials.

I owned a Acoustic 220 head and 406 cabinet (2x15) for a few years back in the late 70's. It was a good amp. I would have liked to have had a 320 head and 408 cab but the cab (4x15) was just to big to haul around, even back then. It weighed in at 145 lbs.

Here's a photo of both rigs from my 1980 Acoustic catalog.
  9. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    If you like it, you're getting a worthwhile maintainance contract and it seems in good shape then go for it. You'd have a hard time getting something better for the price, I think. If Jorg says it's good thing to have, I'd say that's a good recommendation.

Just to be on the safe side, I'd also suggest that you start looking for a tech who knows something about Acoustic gear who could work on it if you have problems. Just in case.
  10. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    The price may be a bit high but hey, you played it for an hour. That's a fair test drive and it is through an outlet trying to make a buck. I fixed an Acoustic head once. Lots of room to breath and some models you can find prints for on the acoustic website. That was a year or so ago. I think John Paul Jones played one back in the 70's also.
  11. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
  12. vintageampeg

vintageampeg Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Great stuff. I have a "476" rig that I love (470 head + 406 2x15 cab). I've had a couple of 270 heads too. The head you are talking about is voiced for both guitar and bass but the cab I believe is a guitar cab.

I think you could get a better bass rig for the price. I'd consider buying the head only and get different cab.

2nd on the maintenance contract. You won't get your money's worth.

Check out this site - it's a must for acoustic buffs.

The Unofficial Acoustic Homepage

13. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    At the Buffalo Grove, IL Sam Ash?

The amp and cab are clean, from what I remember, but the 4x12 is a guitar cabinet, not a bass cabinet.

I owned a 450 for a few years and it served me well for a practice amp...and would have done well for a gigging amp. Lots of "steam" for it's 160 watt (2 or 4 ohm) rating. I bought it (in 2000) for just $50 at a Music Go Round was filthy but fully functional. I believe that I got more than $300 for it on eBay about a year ago.

$300 for the cabinet is too much's just a mid '70s sealed 4x12 with standard, non-cast frame speakers (either Eminence, CTS or similar). They would be original if they have white domes (I haven't been in the store for a while and my memory is a bit foggy on whether they're original or not).

More Acoustic info at
  14. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I used to have that 320/408 setup, wish I still did.

If you go for the 450/402, I'd seriously recommend replacement of the electrolytic caps in the 450. See if the seller will have the cap job done right away (as part of the 'maintenance plan'), because when it blows up (which could happen during that first year), it could prove to be more costly to fix and possibly even unrepairable if it takes any circuit boards with it. Tell this to the seller and he may just go ahead and give it a cap job for you.
  15. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Yeah, that's the one i used to get a print for the one I fixed.
  16. americanmade

Feb 12, 2005
    Thanks for all the input. Yes, it was the Buffalo Grove Sam Ash and yes, the speakers had white centers. It doesn't make sense to me to buy a bass head with a guitar cab, so I guess I should head back in there and see if I can pair it with another cab.
  17. 4X15!!!! i need to see this. Do you have a photo of that?
  18. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The 408 (pictured in your post) IS the 4x15. You can see the top and bottom speakers. The other two 15s are in the center section (that big rectangle in the middle) top one facing straight down, bottom one facing straight up.
  19. thats is interesting, how does that affect the sound?
  20. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I still have my 470 that I got in the 70's, it has a guitar/bass switch on's the loudest 170 watts you would ever hear!