Vintage amp - seen one of these before?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jakelly, Sep 10, 2010.

1. jakelly

jakelly

Nov 8, 2009
  2. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Yeah I saw that one too. I might be cool for a practice amp.
    I wonder what he is asking for it?

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Echolette was a kind of German VOX. Good sounding amps and pretty well built.

Paul

4. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    My guess is, he wants more than it would be worth for anyone but a collector. Too bad, it's pretty neat.

5. nico485

nico485

Sep 10, 2010
    Arkansas, USA
    probably does want more than its worth but as far as wattage...30 tube watts would be considerably loud. the old ampeg so commonly used was only 25 watts

6. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    Try to find out which tubes it uses, and see if you will be able to find replacements.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Neat piece!
    watts are watts, and 30 watts would be nowhere near enough for aught but studio use, in my estimation.

8. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I like those plate taps right on top of the output tubes, just waiting for some unsuspecting... *BANG!*

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    bah...my svt has those plate caps and never once has it made an unsuspecting bang.

and if i had that rig, i'd do my best to rock it live. unlike chef, i can easily get away with 30w and a 212. it's not quiet by any means. you'll still piss the neighbors off if you dime it.

10. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    It probably used EL84's, at least thats what it looked like to me from that one picture.

11. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    I emailed to find what it costs.....I'd rock it for small gigs.
    Isn't a fliptop 25Watts?

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    b-15n's are 25 or 30w. they made some higher power fliptops along the way, though the highest power they ever made was 100w.

13. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Asking $400 bucks!

No thanks....

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    i'd totally pay $400 for that if it worked well. wouldn't buy sight unseen, but i think that's actually a good price if it's as nice as it looks.

15. personally wouldn't risk it for that price, specially since it looks like the o/p valves aren't a common type. Also most of the components are original, it'll need an overhall to keep it running in spec soon

16. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I meant waiting for some unsuspecting sap to come along and place a finger on one, as in: "Hm. I wonder what this is..."

17. they're insulated you'd have to be pretty stupid to get a shock from one

18. I have worked on a few of those before, they are very nice little German tube amps. Sound great.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    it would take an amazing level of stupid to do it, but i'm sure someone has done it.

20. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Yeah, but 30 watts is far more useable for guitar.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021