1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage Ampeg SB-12 Fliptop

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Bass Amps, Strings, & Accessories' started by Mike Carr, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    I've been hanging on to this a long time, but probably should let it go. A 63' Porta-Flex SB-12. Way clearer looking than any ones that show up on eBay. I bought it in late 90's from a guy who had not used it since the late 60's when he was in high school. I cleaned up all the tolex and chrome, polished everything until it looked showroom fresh. There are no rips or tears in the fabric. Then took it to an amp guru to the stars guy in LA who compleatly rehabilitated the amp, for a lot of money!. At the time he gave it a clean bill of health and complimented me on how nice it was, didn't often see so many as clean. Not long after I started doing all the overseas traveling gigs so the amp just sat at parents house, where I'd fire it up and enjoy it with my slab mostly in their home while on my all too rare visits. In the last 11 years I have played exactly and only 2 gigs with it, small gigs in very small places where it was loud enough. At one point I put in an Eminence speaker, though I could get a little more volume out of it that way but still have the original one too and it works fine, it's a Jenson I think. The last time I was home was after an absense of 2 years, the amp did not fire up. Bummer..my guitar friends in LA tell me that tube amps that sit idle for months at a time often need cap jobs. Maybe that's the case with this one, or maybe it needs a tube or maybe it just needs a fuse. I didn't bother to check, just put it away until the "next time". Well after a long time I'm coming back home for a few weeks. The amp is dear to me but it runs on 110, not 220 volts so there is no point in thinking about bringing it back to Asia with me. I'm been over my wanna be James Jaimerson phase for years now, these days I hardly ever slab even though this amp sounds real nice with the upright I have a Walter Woods and AI stuff that works fine in the real world. Maybe there is one of you that's into vintage amps that wants it and wants to spend a little money to get it checked out and serviced. So here's the "as is" price. $700obo. If while home I get it serviced or find that after checking the fuse it as if by magic works fine again then the price goes up to $800 or whatever extra it costs to get it working perfect, if the service bill is lets say, $250 then the amps new price is $950 I'll provide a copy of the service bill if that's how things go. $800 is what they are asking for ugly SB-12's on eBay. Mine's real pretty, twice as nice at a low price! You pay shipping from LA on this one, its heavy! I'll try to get photos up next week after I hit LA and get over the jet-lag.

2. ddbassGA

ddbassGA Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    I'll take it as is. See PM.
    DD

3. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    This must be a record for quick sale, offered for 20mins, and the get the offer above! I guess we can call this sold as long as nothing changes in the next few days, like I miss my flight or earthquakes fires or floods hit So Cal before I arrive in afew days!

4. ddbassGA

Nov 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    ;)>

5. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    SOLD!

6. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Just to let you know what the lucky buyer will be getting. A last look before I box and ship today.

7. ddbassGA

Nov 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Ah! Lucky buyer is getting excited!