1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage Ampeg SVT 8x10 cabinet help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GreaserMatt, Sep 29, 2008.

1. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Hi all, I have a chance to buy an early ampeg svt 8x10 cab on the cheap. The grillcloth is intact, but theres no tolex & the speakers need to be wired up & screwed back in place. I think the wiring is still in the cab. The guy also took the insulation out of the cab. Origianl unblown speakers. It's the early straight cab w/ out the handle & casters.

SVT_8x10_03.

SVT_8x10_02.

2. Clank

Clank

Jan 7, 2008
    Huntington Beach
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Strings
    How much?

3. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    $350, unless I can get it cheaper...

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    You can probably do cheaper. My drummer got one completely intact for $250. This is going to take some work to get back into tip-top.

5. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Are these earlier ones better than the later (70's) ones w/ the handle & 2 casters? I'd rather have one of those, I just thought these were supposed to sound better. Matt

6. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    i'd buy it.

7. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Is this for resale or for personal use?

If for personal use, do you have something with enough grunt to drive it? Does it line up with what you play, the music you play, the rooms you play in, and your transportation options?

8. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    IMO - get it. The price is pretty good considering what your getting. For whatever reasons, the square backs tend to be worth a little more than the tilt backs. So on the plus side, your getting what many on TB think is a little more, maybe even a lot more better cab than the newer ones. You got original speakers, the grill cloth and emblem, and what appears to be undamaged and ready to recover cab. On the other side, you need tolex and some corners, some handles, fiberglass and the dolley board. Most all of that is fairly easy to come by. I paid $300 for a early '73 tilt back that needed everything yours does (except the dolley and fiberglass) plus grill cloth, emblem and the 4 pin connector on the back and a lot of stripping of carpet that's leaving a ton of carpet fibers that the previous owner had super glued on (still working on that project) to remove before covering. :cool:

9. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Handles & corners included. This will be mostly for recordings & home use; I plan on plopping a 70's SVT head on top of this pig. I got a 4x10 for live playing.

10. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    So it's going to be a big paper weight? ;)

These things sound great, especially with the matching SVT so I say definitely go for it. Shouldn't cost too much to fix up, and the replacement stuff is pretty readily available. I think ampeg switch to eminence speakers in 72, but IIRC the designer of the eminence speakers was originally a CTS employee so they should be close to if not the same. The later models with the towel bar were supposed to be easier to move, but I dont know if they changed the interior dimensions which could change the sound (an effect of changing TS parameters?) I don't have both to compare. Either way I know that with my 70's V4 on top of one of these cabs I can shake the house down. Best of luck.

11. :bassist:I have one that has that same look but it has been refinished and it is very nice. I am having some problems tring to find the wattage for that same model. Do you know what the RMS/or MAX wattage is for this model? Thanks..:confused:

12. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    I've got one of these squarebacks. Its a great sounding cab IMO, particularly with (whooda thunk?) an SVT head plopped on top. I dont carry it around so much. When I use an 8x10, which is pretty frequent, I take my later tilt-back one with towel bar and casters. But the squareback with a recently tuned 70's SVT has magic sound.

13. Clank

Clank

Jan 7, 2008
    Huntington Beach
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Strings
    I'd offer him $300 and see what happens. Then I'd leave the 4x10 at home and go move some air with your new rig.

14. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    So, is there a difference with the square back cabs & the ones w/ the handle? Because I had one of the later ones w/ the handle, & it even had re-coned speakers (i.e. not original), & the thing sounded awesome w/ an old SVT...

15. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I read on some other site that it's 210 watts, but as long as you don't use it (your head) at full volume (I guess you were supposed to hook up your SVT to 2 of these 8x10 cabs) you will be fine.

16. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    The SVT square-back cab like you have, as well as the slant-back of the time period are rated at 240 watts. :) 8-30 watt 32ohm CTS speakers. There was a thread along this line of the differences, if any, between the 2 cabs not too long ago. Do a search and you can read all of the threads for the comparrison. :cool:

17. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    The power ratings as I understand were greatly underestimated. Check with Psycho for more facts, but I believe the older speakers can handle a LOT more than the literature said. I've used my squareback with original speakers many times at HUGE volume with old SVT heads, 90s SVT-II's, and (gasp!) Carvin B1500 with great success, no damage, no distortion at all.

18. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Oh yea - Luckydog is right - cabs can handle way more than that rating. The 300 watt head is handled like a breeze. :cool:

19. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    Get it, and recover it in 1960's B-15 Blue Square tolex... Should be Sexy!

20. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    original unblown speakers.

thats ill nasty right there. id def buy that and plop it in the rehearsal studio.