1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage Ampeg SVT - are they worth the extra $$$???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by michael_atw, Apr 24, 2010.

1. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    So, I've been gassing for an SVT...but I'm not sure what to throw down on. I've thought about all models but for me owning vintage is the top-notch. My question is simple - is it worth the extra money to buy a vintage 70's SVT?? It seems like they go for at least double of what newer models go for (on average...and of course, depending on condition). Are they that much better sounding? I know they have reissues, but is there a difference?

2. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    An interesting topic, on which I would say most will advise you to go for a genuine vintage model and have it bought up to spec if necessary. A lot of logic in this point of view, mostly justified as there have recently been some reliability issues (although now seemingly solved) with newer SVTs.
    I can only comment based on my limited personal experience: for years I ran a lovely seventies SVT which slowly became more and more unreliable, fixed one thing and next gig something else would play up. I know that this is not typical, but it did happen to me. About a year ago I bought a new Vietnam made SVT VR, in a nutshell it has behaved perfectly, to my ears the tone and grunt easily matches my old seventies model when it was behaving properly. So I would confidently buy a new SVT VR again, especially now that issues over reliability seem to have been fixed. Members like JimmyM and JohnK who regularly have the opportunity to play through a variety of recently manufactured 'pegs would seem to support the view that reliabilty issues have been solved, although I cannot speak for their preferences. Either way, if you go for a new one I would recommend the VR over the CL, and personally if it was me I would buy new.