1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale/Trade Vintage Ampeg SVT head and Flatback Cabinet early 70's PRICE DROP $2500

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by davelowell2, Aug 26, 2016.

1. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    Price:
    image. image. image. image. image. image. image. image. image. image. image. image. image. image. image. It is with great sadness that I list this, but, I haven't been in a band for three years, don't foresee being in one anytime soon and if I were to join somebody, now that I live in NYC, this wouldn't get used anyway...

I've had the head for about 15 years and it's operated without fail for me the whole time. There has been some components changed, caps I think, and tubes by Acme Guitars in St. Louis. The standby has been moved to the front by a previous owner, worthwhile mod, IMO. Black square graphics put it early 70's but I seem to remember date codes indicate '74. Original tolex with original grill cloth as well as two replacements I made when I re clothed the cab, if you are into matching... Also comes with padded soft cover and all parts that were replaced...

The cab has been dated as 1972 by a the speaker codes in this thread. This thread details what I did to get it into playing/ restored shape.

Early 70's Ampeg SVT 8x10... The makeover starts here.

The quick story is that I reinforced, stripped, cleaned, duratex'd, re lined with sound dampening, and installed new grill cloth on the original frame with original logo. Most hardware is original and some replacement parts as well as the SVT badge is in the plastic bag. Also, a clutch head screwdriver is included that I purchased from fliptops.net. The speakers are original and work well. The dolly is a flip tops.net that I got in the early 2000's.

As you can see, this set is in great shape and ready to be played. I loved/ love it and took really good care to treat this piece of history with respect.

I'm in NYC, however, this amp is near Poughkeepsie. I'd like to keep this local only unless you are driving here. I can bring it to the city for a serious buyer. No shipping!

The trades I'd consider are REDDI, Jule Monique, Broughton P-15, Ampeg PF-50-T, Rickenbacker 4003S Midnight Blue or Jetglo, Rickenbacker 4000, Gibson RD Artist. All of these are obviously plus cash...

I'm sure I'll edit more info as I remember it. Ask questions and have a look at the pics. I can take more pics on request but please realize that I live 1 1/2 hour drive from the amp and I only see it every couple of weeks.

I'm not sure how to price this other than to ask myself what it would take to give it up. If you'd like to make a lower offer feel free.

Thanks...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    ezra1, P-oddz, Boom762 and 5 others like this.
  2. Really sweet rig.

3. JJR58

JJR58 "Big Angry Piano" Supporting Member

Double dang!!!!!!!!!!

4. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    want. badly. GLWTS

5. sub-commandante

sub-commandante

Feb 12, 2016
    That is sweet....i know because i have the same one.:D Sad to let it go...i'm sure.

6. davelowell2

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    Yeah, for sure. The realization and acceptance of entering a "new phase" in my life is tough. But, it is what it is.

7. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Purdy! Best of luck with the sale!

8. davelowell2

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    Updated trade list...

9. davelowell2

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    I'd really like to work out a deal for a Rickenbacker 4003S in Midnight Blue or Jetglo plus cash. That's first choice.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  10. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    DON'T DO IT!!!! YOU WILL REGRET IT LATER!

11. Tinman Funk

Tinman Funk

Nov 8, 2016
    Arlington
    Agreed!!!!

12. davelowell2

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    Bumping this. I'm having serious 4003S GAS pains at the moment... Thank you for your time.:)

13. wow......if I were only 30 again with a fully functional back.................

Johnny Crab likes this.
  14. davelowell2

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    I moved to Westchester County so I'm not in the city and it will be easier to arrange something as I have access to my car most of the time. Thanks!

15. weekend warrior

weekend warrior Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Grayling,MI.
    Have a Jetglo 4003 that I will trade you

16. davelowell2

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    Gas is strong...

Payment plan?
    Trades?

Sure!

17. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    What is the weight on these heads?

I know I know...haha

18. prm

prm

Oct 30, 2016
    Dublin, Ireland
    Dammit. I've a '72 4001 stereo bass I'd trade (+ cash balance) for this. Meeting up might be an issue though. I'm in Ireland. Fancy a holiday? Dollar's still strong against the Euro!!! Just sayin'... :);)

19. davelowell2

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    @prm,
    That sounds like a great trip and trade but unfortunately geography is our enemy.
    Good luck!
    Hey, PM me some pictures of that '72 anyway, if you don't mind.

20. prm

prm

Oct 30, 2016
    Dublin, Ireland
    Hi Dave. Yep, distance bit of a problem all right. I'll message you some pictures no problem. Now, I wonder if I can talk the family into holidaying in the States instead of Italy this year...mmm. ;)