Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vintage Ampeg SVT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jdwinva, Jan 11, 2006.

1. jdwinva

jdwinva Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    I just purchased a 1978 Ampeg SVT and after fixing a noisy fan I have a tone monster going into an SVT-410HLF. The voice of God / Dog (whichever you prefer). Since this thing had only one volume knob and no gain knob how do I buffer my active bass? It seems to be overdriving the preamp. When I use my passive P-bass all is well, however my active Lakland is slamming the input kinda hard. Any ideas? I can't be the first person to have this problem. This amp was created before active basses but.....

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Just turn down the bass. If the volume knob doesn't do it, try turning down all EQ bands by the same amount.

3. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    turn down the volume knob on the bass

4. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    If you want to go the pedal route, Everman has one called "the Pot" which gives you footswitchable attenuation, just like turning down your volume on your bass. Then you could bypass it for overdriven sounds.

Or you could just turn down your bass volume.

Or you could mod the input with a pad. :eek:

5. jdwinva

jdwinva Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    I appreciate the responses. I'll just turn down my bass!

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Sell your active bass and get a passive. God intended no active basses through that amp. ;)

7. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    You may have a point there. Just for fun, try borrowing a passive P & set yours to match the overall level. When that amp was designed there were no active basses - but if you feed it the level it likes it won't care that you're active.

8. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Why bother with an active bass anyway? Jack Bruce never had any stinking batteries in his bass. Neither did Mel Schacher or Noel Redding. Think about it......when was the electric bass invented, 1952? Twenty years of hard rockin' bass with no stinking batteries.

9. Adjust the output level of your Lakland via the trimpot in the control cavity......

10. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Think about it! When the car was invented it was what, something like 12 horsepower, and had a top speed of 30 or something?

Dude, it's called PROGRESS. Active didn't exist back then because the miniature circuitry was not yet possible, not because it would not have been good. So accept active, or go buy an antique car - the argument is the same.

- Tim

11. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I disagree. If people are still using amps from the 70s (which they are ... I mean, look at the GAS lists on this site of who wants an early SVT, or those who already play them, old Fender heads, Sunns, Hiwatts, or even the old Peavey TNTs), then using basses from the same era (whether original or copies) is perfectly acceptable.

12. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Folks drive some awfully old cars too. My point is that it is nothing more than a choice, not a superiority.

- Tim